The Daily, the digital newspaper created for Apple’s iPad by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp, has tallied hundreds of thousands of downloads since its launch a month ago, its publisher said on Thursday.
“It’s going great,” Greg Clayman said at the paidContent conference in New York. “We’re not disclosing the exact numbers [of downloads], but it’s in the hundreds of thousands.”
Although the Daily has extended a free trial period until March 21, Clayman said a number of readers had already opened their wallets to pay the subscription fee of US$0.99 a week.
He declined to say exactly how many paid subscribers the Daily has signed up, joking only that it’s “more than one and less than a billion.”
Clayman said News Corp had agreed to the same revenue-sharing that Apple is offering to other publishers, with the California-based gadget-maker taking a 30 percent cut of each subscription.
“We get the same revenue share that everybody else does,” he said.
Clayman said News Corp was not “locked into” a single platform for the Daily, which is currently only available on the iPad, and it would eventually be offered on tablet computers running Google’s Android software.
“We want to be where the consumers are,” he said.
Apple is the tablet market leader with sales of more than 15 million iPads, but “we do expect the Android tablet market will grow,” Clayman said. “What the iPad does is it allows you to create something brand new.”
In an era of shrinking newspaper circulation and eroding print advertising revenue, the managing editor of the Financial Times’ Web site on Thursday also urged other publishers to try charging for online content, saying the British outlet has more than 200,000 digital subscribers.
Rob Grimshaw, who has headed the newspaper’s online operations since June 2008, said the Financial Times circulates about 400,000 print copies a day and has 207,000 subscribers for FT.com.
“As a publication, we’re halfway to replicating our paying print audience in digital and that’s a really big deal for our business overall,” Grimshaw said at a panel discussion at the conference.
FT.com also has 3 million registered users — readers who can see up to 10 articles a month before being asked to subscribe, he said.
Grimshaw addressed the fears of many publishers that erecting a pay-wall would result in a significant drop in traffic and online advertising revenue.
“Our digital revenues from subscriptions increased by over 50 percent year over year,” he said. “We’ve found with this model that there really isn’t a trade-off between advertising and subscription, because our advertising revenues online also grew by double digits.”
The key to charging for content online is “quality and differentiation,” Grimshaw said.
In the US, Murdoch’s Wall Street Journal currently charges for full access to WSJ.com and the New York Times said this week that it would begin charging at NYTimes.com “shortly.”
Atlantic Media Co president Justin Smith told the same panel that charging for online content is better suited to financial news outlets like the Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal.
“These are very distinct, niche markets with expensive content that’s hard to produce,” Smith said.
“Sure, pay-walls work well there,” but people are unlikely to pay for other content, including his own company’s respected magazine the Atlantic, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his