Nissan Motor Co showed off its super-quiet, zero-emissions electric car yesterday — a key green offering for Japan’s No. 3 automaker, which has fallen behind in hybrid technology.
Nissan showed the prototype in a Tiida compact that is already on sale. It is withholding the unveiling of the electric car’s exterior design until the Tokyo-based manufacturer opens its new Yokohama headquarters on Aug. 2.
“Nissan will be a leader in zero-emissions vehicles,” chief operating officer Toshiyuki Shiga said ahead of a test-drive event at the automaker’s facility in this Tokyo suburb. “EV is the answer.”
Sales of Nissan’s electric vehicle are scheduled to begin in Japan and the US next year. Nissan says it plans to mass produce zero-emissions cars globally from 2012.
Until then, Nissan will produce all initially targeted 100,000 units at its Oppama plant, including export models.
Nissan has received a US$1.6 billion loan from the US Department of Energy loan to modify its Smyrna, Tennessee, plant to produce electric vehicles and batteries to power them, with production starting in 2012.
The car shown yesterday uses a lithium-ion battery pack that is placed under the vehicle floor to allow for more cabin and luggage space. The braking system recharges the battery while the car is driving, extending the driving range to 160km under a full charge, Nissan said. With the lighter weight and more energy efficient batteries, the new electric car can double the range of the current Hypermini model introduced in 1998.
Nissan shares the battery design with its alliance partner Renault as part of a cost-cutting effort.
Proponents of hybrids, like market-leader Toyota Motor Corp, the world’s biggest automaker, say the limited driving range of electric vehicles makes them suited for daily commutes or shopping at best, and so hybrids are the best solution.
Hybrids have gas engines as well as a motor on board, and they charge themselves as they scoot along so they don’t have to be plugged in for charging, as do electric cars.
However, Nissan executive vice president Mitsuhiko Yamashita said the company planned to cut gas emissions by 90 percent by 2050, “a challenge that goes far beyond what hybrids can achieve but not electric vehicles.”
Nissan’s electric vehicle shows the driving radius within range of the car’s charge on a dashboard navigation map, so drivers won’t get stranded on the highway. It can also calculate if the vehicle is within range of a destination. A handheld remote control allows a user to preset room temperature, set a timer for nighttime battery recharging and to receive a message when the vehicle is fully recharged.
The new EV prototype hardly makes a sound when operated and officials are studying ways to add noise to catch the attention of pedestrians for safety, officials said.
Nissan has promised to tackle the other widely viewed obstacle to the proliferation of electric vehicles — pricing.
Although Nissan has yet to announce the price, company spokeswoman Pauline Kee said the electric vehicle would be “competitive” with regular gasoline vehicles.
Last month, Nissan’s smaller Japanese rival, Mitsubishi Motors Corp, launched its electric vehicle, the ¥4.59 million (US$48,300) i-MiEV. The company has acknowledged that may be be too expensive for most consumers.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his