Chinatrust Financial Holding Co (中信金控), which owns the nation’s largest credit card issuer, yesterday reported a meager 2.5 percent year-on-year rise in pre-audited net profit for the past three quarters to NT$13.2 billion (US$400 million), or NT$1.36 per share.
“We’re facing an unprecedented financial crisis and a gloomy economic outlook, although Chinatrust Financial has suffered limited impact from the crisis,” Daniel Wu (吳一揆), a senior vice president at the firm, told a media briefing.
Anticipating slower sales in the upcoming quarters, Chinatrust Financial said it could see mild growth for the full year, yet hoped to outperform the NT$13.34 billion in net profit reported last year.
“We are expecting opportunities to provide advisory services to help manage rich people’s wealth once the government’s cut in inheritance taxes helps attract their capital inflows,” said Hsu Miao-chiu (許妙靜), the company’s chief financial officer.
As financial headwinds have driven down the valuation of peer financial institutions, the financial service provider also expressed great interest in acquiring local financial institutions, including insurers and securities brokerages and one of two city commercial banks in China in the near future.
Wu said the mega bank was scheduled to conduct primary due diligence checks on the two Chinese city-level commercial banks this month, which could lead to its taking a maximum 25 percent stake in one of the banks once cross-strait financial deregulation accelerates.
Four of Chinatrust Financial’s overseas subsidiaries in the US, the Philippines, Canada and Indonesia are also touting acquisition opportunities, Wu said, without elaborating.
Chinatrust Financial, however, may soon suffer a loss of up to NT$320 million from its banking subsidiary Chinatrust Commercial Bank’s (中國信託商銀) sales of Lehman Brothers-linked structured notes to some 300 domestic investors after Sept. 1, as banks are required by the Financial Supervisory Commission to reach reconciliatory agreements with investors.
“We hope to settle agreements with these 300 customers by the end of the fourth quarter,” Hsu said. “And we may book losses in the fourth quarter if necessary.”
The banking unit of Chinatrust sold NT$16.9 billion in structured notes linked to Lehman Brothers to local investors.
For the past three quarters, Chinatrust Commercial Bank, nevertheless, remained the main driver of revenues for the parent company, contributing NT$12 billion in pre-tax revenues. In the third quarter alone, it saw a 14 percent year-on-year growth in commercial loans and a 16.7 percent year-on-year growth in fee incomes generated by credit cards.
As of the end of September, the bank had NT$132.5 billion in total assets under management.
Chinatrust Commercial Bank’s strength in wealth management, however, weakened. The bank posted a 30 percent year-on-year decline in income generated from wealth management businesses for the third quarter at NT$6.38 billion.
In spite of hard financial times, Chinatrust Financial’s finances were sound and it vowed not to lay off any employees, Hsu said.
BNP Paribas (法銀巴黎證券) said in a note to its clients yesterday that it recommended a “hold” on Chinatrust Financial stock.
The French brokerage said Chinatrust Financial’s sharp reversal of loss to gain in the third quarter was because of accounting leeway, which allowed it to wipe out an estimated NT$4.6 billion loss from its balance sheet from investments in Mega Financial Holding Co (兆豐金控) equities.
BNP Paribas further expressed concerns over the company’s future litigation case and higher Lehman Brothers-related damage to its earnings in the fourth quarter. It cut its target price to NT$9.80.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his