Overseas banks remain interested in buying local financial institutions as long as they can take full control of the acquisition targets, a veteran foreign banker said yesterday.
There are many moneyed Western banks interested in investing in local banks with a complete control of the targets, or at least a 51-percent stake, Rupert Robson, co-head of the global financial institutions group in corporate and investment banking at HSBC Bank Plc, said in Taipei yesterday.
Except non-bank financial institutions that seek strategic partnerships in order to get distribution channels, foreign banks have been less favorable toward minority shareholding, as they want to steer decision-making power and make their spending count under regulatory demand for meaningful capital use, he explained.
Robson made the remarks in a media gathering in which HSBC unveiled its newly established investment banking unit in Taiwan. The bank wants to tap into the nation's robust capital market, which will offer local companies advisory services in merger and acquisition (M&A) deals and overseas fundraising activities.
The banker's comments could explain the lack of succesful M&As, while the nation's government has vowed to consolidate the crowded banking sector, with one of the aims being to have at least one local bank run by an overseas firm.
In comparison, foreign banks have been racing to buy Chinese banks in order to strengthen their footholds there, before the full opening of the country's finance market for foreign participation at the end of next year. Each foreign bank is limited to a maximum 20-percent stake in one Chinese lender.
Thus far, deals reached in the Chinese banking sector include the Bank of America's acquisition of a 9 percent stake in China's second largest lender, China Construction Bank (中國建設銀行), for US$3 billion in June. HSBC was the financial adviser for the bank, the US' second biggest lender, in the deal.
As the attraction to other markets grows, the banking sector could become less appealing to overseas banks interested in expanding in the region, said Wellington Chow (
Chow expected less active M&A activities in the nation's banking sector next year, following the conclusion of state bank mergers at the year's end, due to a lack of strong incentives for private financial holding firms to consolidate.
Meanwhile, local lenders are expected to have strong needs for fundraising to improve their capital adequacy next year, to meet stricter requirements for risk management under the Basel II standards, he said.
HSBC is focusing on large-scale clients in the high-tech, finance and manufacturing sectors, hoping to double the unit's revenue next year, Chow said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort