Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信) entered the last stage for privatization yesterday after the government offloaded 135.1 million American Depositary Receipts (ADRs), or a 14 percent stake, at US$18.98 per unit to overseas investors, contributing US$2.56 billion to the state's coffers.
The share sale was announced after the close of trading at the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday.
Each ADR is equal to 10 common shares.
PHOTO: AFP
The offering price of US$18.98 per ADR (equivalent to NT$60.67 per common share) represents a 0.5 percent discount on the company's closing share price of NT$61 on the local bourse on Tuesday, and a 3 percent discount on the company's closing price of US$19.57 traded on the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday, according to a Chunghwa Telecom press release yesterday.
The overseas sale, together with the government's auction of a 3 percent stake, or 289.43 million shares, to domestic investors on Tuesday, helped reduce the government's holding in the nation's biggest telecommunications company from 65 percent to around 48 percent.
That means Chunghwa Telecom is now technically a private entity, according to the government's definition of a privatization.
As the ADR news was released during TAIEX trading yesterday, Chunghwa Telecom's shares got a boost and closed NT$1.5 higher at NT$62.50, a 2.46 percent rise, which one analyst said showed investor confidence was bouncing back.
"Investors have welcomed the privatization of Chunghwa Telecom as it will help reduce personnel costs and streamline company operations, enhancing its competitiveness. I expect its share price will gradually climb in the near term," said Lu Chia-lin (
Clouded by uncertainties about whether privatization would proceed smoothly, Chunghwa Telecom shares dropped 3.8 percent last Thursday after company chairman Hochen Tan (賀陳旦) announced the domestic share sale for Tuesday. They dropped another 3 percent on Monday.
Taiwan Ratings Corp (中華信評), the local arm of Standard & Poor's, said Chunghwa Telecom's ratings would not be affected by the sale of the government's stake.
"The ratings do not take government support into consideration, as Taiwan's telecom market is deregulated and the government has long planned to privatize the company," Taiwan Ratings said in a statement. "The ratings reflect the company's superior position in Taiwan's telecommunications industry and its very strong financial profile."
Upon receiving the news that the ADR sale was proceeding smoothly, the company's labor union called off its hunger strike at noon yesterday. The 18-hour strike had been called to protest the privatization plan.
But before ending the strike, the union members went to the Democratic Progressive Party's headquarters in Taipei to protest the government's "disregard" of employees' rights, said Chuang Ping-tang (
The union has refused to sign a collective agreement regarding employees benefits and pensions after privatization.
The telecom giant faces internal and external challenges, its former chairman said at a forum in Taipei yesterday.
It has to provide creative services to compete head-on with smaller rivals, especially when the data-oriented third-generation (3G) mobile technology catches on later this year, said Mao Chi-kuo (
The company will have to adjust its mindset, establish an effective system of rewards and penalties and revitalize manpower by encouraging elderly workers to retire so new blood can be hired, he said.
Chunghwa Telecom yesterday reported revenue of NT$15.52 billion for last month and NT$105.2 billion for the first seven months of the year. Its unaudited after-tax profits for the first seven months reached NT$28.6 billion, or NT$2.96 per share, according to a statement to the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his