State-run Chinese Petroleum Corp (CPC, 中油) said yesterday that it would not consider raising oil prices in the next month, despite the continuing escalation in international oil prices.
"We will keep monitoring the situation," Chen Bao-lang (陳寶郎), the company's newly appointed president, said in the handover press conference yesterday.
Crude oil futures rocketed to a record high of US$43.05 a barrel in New York on Wednesday, the highest level in 21 years, on news that Russian oil giant Yukos could be forced to halt sales.
Rising crude prices have put pressure on the nation's largest refiner, which has a 70 percent share of the nation's oil market. CPC buys some 220 million barrels of crude oil a year.
"A rise of US$1 per barrel in crude prices costs the company an extra NT$7 billion," said chairman Kuo Chin-tsai (郭進財) yesterday.
The company's wholesale gasoline prices were based on its crude supplies costing more than US$36 or US$37 a barrel, according to spokesman Liao Tsang-long (廖滄龍), CPC's deputy director of industrial relations.
Chen, 61, yesterday took over CPC's presidency from Pan Wenent (潘文炎), who is scheduled to become chairman of affiliate Kuo Kuang Power Co (國光電力).
The former vice president has been working for the company for 37 years, serving in various posts including industrial relations director, planning director and director of the Kaohsiung refinery.
In his inaugural address, Chen said the relocation of the No. 5 naptha cracker in Kaohsiung is the first thorny problem he'll tackle.
The cracker was established in 1990 and the then-premier Hau Pei-tsun (郝柏村) promised city residents that it would be moved in 25 years, which would be in 2015.
"I will be proactive in communicating with residents and seeking their support to keep the factory and transform the cracker into a high-tech park," Chen said.
Promoting privatization and investment projects also top his agenda, Chen said. Expanding the company's business through more investments will help create more jobs and reduce employee's concerns about possible layoffs in the course of privatization, he said.
CPC is investing NT$40 billion in a new cracker in Linyuan, Kao-hsiung County, and is evaluating resuming a NT$376 billion investment in a naphtha-cracker complex in Yunlin County. An evaluation is expected to be completed by the end of next month and will be submitted to the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Chen said.
CPC is hoping to achieve profits of NT$20 billion on revenue of NT$500 billion this year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort