The Council for Economic Plan-ning and Development said last week that political donations from former Tuntex Group (
decision-making over a power plant contract.
The government's accusation -- which followed the fugitive tycoon's announcement that President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and his administration received political donations from him -- came as the Taiwan Financial Asset Service Corp (TFASC, 台灣金服) planned to sell part of Tuntex Group's collateralized equities in an auction scheduled for today.
While Tuntex's bid for the contract to supply liquid natural gas (LNG) to the Taiwan Power Co's (Taipower, 台電) 4,000-megawatt thermal power plant in Tatan, Taoyuan was finally defeated last year, observers said the firm had had tacit approval from the former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government. Foreign companies accused Tuntex of cheating because it had gotten such an early start that other bidders had a hard time catching up.
Tung Ting Gas Corp (東鼎液化瓦斯興業), a Tuntex subsidiary whose shareholders include Japan's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd and China Development Industrial Bank (中華開發銀行), originally plan-ned to build the first natural-gas receiving terminal in northern Taiwan and to obtain the rights to sell natural gas.
The contracts for importing LNG run for 25 years and the annual purchase volume exceeds 1.36 million tonnes.
Several international petroleum suppliers, including the US oil giant ExxonMobil Corp, TotalFinaElf of France, British Petroleum Plc and Royal Dutch/Shell Group had expressed interest in vying for the lucrative LNG contracts for the Tatan plant.
Observers noted that before a natural-gas receiving terminal can be constructed, a port must be built. This involves national land planning and the development of industrial parks, and must be approved by various government agencies, something that is difficult even if you have a lot of money.
But the most difficult part was winning a contract from Taipower to supply LNG to the Tatan plant, in order to obtain fundamental distribution channels for imported natural gas.
Criticism of Tung Ting's past "black gold" activities surrounded the construction of the port, the planning of the industrial area and even the gas-supply tender for the Tatan plant.
Through his close relationships with the leaders of the KMT government, Chen Yu-hao recruited Lee Tuan-yu (
The state-run Chinese Petroleum Corp (CPC, 中國石油) once expressed an interest in building a receiving terminal in the north of the country. But its ambitions were blocked in 1998 when the Ministry of Economic Affairs decided that the bulk of investments for a LNG receiving terminal should come from the private sector.
Tung Ting then seemed to hold a near-monopoly on the project over both domestic and international competitors. It was accused of being involved in exclusive business deals and that was the focus of the Cabinet's doubts on Feb. 12.
The government's handling of the Tung Ting investment project came in for criticism because even though a tender has not been issued for the gas supply contract for Taipower's Tatan plant, major resources had already been allocated to Tung Ting.
Even before it was confirmed that Tung Ting had won the tender, however, the economics ministry had approved the company's
application to have land designated for an industrial area and port. Tung Ting had thus obtained a location for the port -- Kuantang in Taoyuan -- on the coast right next to the site for the Tatan plant. Both the land and the rights to develop it had been given unconditionally to Tung Ting.
Financial officials who participated in the approval of the Tung Ting investment project but asked not to be named said the reason the Kuantang port was approved was that Tung Ting met the requirements of national natural gas policy. The officials said the Tatan plant tender hadn't even been issued, so how could Tung Ting meet policy requirements before receiving the tender documents? In addition, the original reason for approving the construction of the port doesn't exist anymore.
The officials said that this was all the result of official pressure at the time of the approval.
Having been attacked for enjoying "protection from above," Tung Ting filed an application with the Industrial Development Bureau in 1995 to build a port.
But not until 1999 did the bureau designate Kuantang as an industrial park. In July 2000, shortly after Chen Shui-bian took office, a CEPD committee meeting approved the proposal to build an industrial port in the Kuantang industrial park. Construction work commenced in May 2002.
Because of the government's "protection," the tender for Tai-power's Tatan LNG power plant aroused concern in various countries. ExxonMobil, TotalFinaElf, British Petroleum and Shell have all gone through their respective countries' representatives in Taipei to lodge complaints with the Cabinet and the Presidential Office over the handling of the tender.
China Petroleum was eventually allowed to participate in the bidding. Chen Shui-bian's administration also ordered a review of the qualifications of the bidders in the Tatan project.
Last year, Tung Ting's bid for the 25-year, NT$395 billion (US$11.9 billion) contract to supply gas to Taipower was defeated and construction on the project was halted.
Translated by Jackie Lin, Eddy Chang and Perry Svensson
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his