The signal came in loud and clear at the control center at the 16th-century Morro Castle overlooking all of Havana.
It was the captain of the Express, a Liberian cargo ship carrying poultry and eggs from the US, some of it supplied by Cherokee Trading Co in Conyers.
PHOTO: NY TIMES
"Proceed for four or five miles and keep your position," Barbaro Gonzalez, the traffic manager for the Port of Havana, radioed back.
Gonzalez peered through his telescope and said: "It's a big one. And it's moving fast."
Half an hour later, the mammoth blue-and-white ship sailed in from the calm sea past the Cuban capital's picturesque shoreline and into the Bay of Havana. The Express has made four other 36-hour trips from ports of call along the Mississippi and Louisiana coastlines since US food shipments began arriving in Cuba last November.
A strict trade embargo has prevented US ships from docking at Cuban ports for the last 40 years. In 2000, Congress approved humanitarian sales of food and medical supplies, though Cuban President Fidel Castro refused to buy American because the sanctions prohibit credit and Cuba must pay in cash.
But after Hurricane Michelle caused US$1.8 billion in damage to the Caribbean island last November, Castro accepted Washington's offer of assistance. Since then, US$101 million in US goods have been sold to Cuba, said Pedro Alvarez, president of Alimport, a Cuban import company. The shipments are usually brought in on vessels sailing under the flag of another nation.
"There is a strong interest on the side of US farmers to sell their products in Cuba and gain back that natural market," Alvarez said.
But as chicken leg quarters, turkey breasts and eggs from farmlands across America are being unloaded at the Port of Havana's Container Terminal every 10-15 days, President Bush is pledging an even tougher US policy toward Cuba.
Amid growing momentum in Washington to end the trade embargo and after former President Jimmy Carter's call to do so during his unprecedented visit, Bush said Wednesday he wants to clamp down on "one of the last great tyrants left on earth."
Bush plans to unveil his Cuba policy Monday and visit with Cuban-American exiles in Miami, many of whom vehemently oppose easing sanctions.
Supporters of the embargo say the US should not engage with Castro's Communist regime.
Failed policy
Opponents argue that the embargo hurts poor Cuban citizens and has failed in its expressed intent to bring down Castro, who took power in 1959 through revolution.
Carter follows a stream of members of Congress who have visited Cuba, met with Castro and left calling for an end to the embargo. A growing number of farm state lobbyists and business representatives argue that since the US has full relations with Communist regimes in Vietnam and China, then Cuba should be no different.
"The embargo is a big [strategic] mistake for the United States," said Oscar Espinosa Chepe, an independent economist in Havana who often analyzes the collapsing Cuban economy on Radio Marti, the anti-Castro radio station operated by Miami's Cuban exiles.
"This policy falls into the hands of the hard-liners in Cuba and gives them an alibi. So when people say things are very hard in Cuba, they turn around and blame the embargo."
In the meantime, Chepe said, the average Cuban, who earns no more than US$10 to US$15 a month, is paying for the lack of free enterprise and open markets that has turned the country into a nation of beggars. Cuban monthly pensions are less than the US$3.20 a carton of American eggs costs here.
That's why more than US$1 billion flows each year from Cuban-American communities into the hands of relatives and friends on the island who cannot eke out a living on their salaries alone.
Following the ruin of the sugar cane industry, Castro vigorously promoted tourism, Cuba's top industry these days. But ordinary Cubans cannot enjoy the plush hotels, resorts and services reserved solely for foreigners.
"It's a terrible situation here," said Chepe, who lost his diplomatic and banking jobs for openly voicing his ideas. "We Cubans are treated like third-class citizens in our own land."
High shipping costs
Alejandro Gonzalez, the commercial manager for a company that represents the US shipping company Crowley Liner Services, said that from a purely business standpoint, it makes sense for there to be a normalization of relations.
"Right now we have to buy most of our chicken and eggs from Europe, Canada and Brazil. This increases the freight price," he said.
Crowley, based in Jacksonville, Florida, handles all the containerized food shipments that leave US shores, including the 23.2 tonnes of turkey that came in Thursday from Georgia's Cherokee Trading Co.
Cherokee is not the only Georgia company exporting poultry to Cuba.
Vicky Cox, export sales representative for Latin America for Gold Kist Inc, a poultry producer based in Atlanta, said her company made its first shipment to Cuba in January. A second shipment is expected at the end of the month.
But the process is nowhere near easy.
The ban on extending credit to Cuba means transactions have to be carried out in cash.
To receive a shipment, Cuban importers have to exchange thousands, if not millions, of dollars for euros in France, where it is converted back to dollars and sent to the US. And all within 40 hours. "We are paying through French banks," Alvarez said. "The documents have to go through France as well, and everything has to happen within the time that it takes the ship to get here."
"All this trouble to often go just 90 miles," said Barbaro Gonzalez, the maritime traffic manager.
As the Express pulled into port to unload its 55 containers, Gonzalez pondered the four decades of enmity between his country and the "norteamericanos."
He looked at all the flags folded neatly in wooden cubbyholes and came to the one that said "Estados Unidos" -- US. The flag once flew on a pole outside the office, to welcome incoming vessels.
He took it out and unfurled it to reveal rust-colored water stains on the white cloth of the Stars and Stripes.
"We haven't used it in 40 years because no ships from America ever came," Gonzalez said. "I hope one day soon we will."
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he