The US Treasury Department aims to hold off on selling its 34 percent stake in Citigroup Inc until the bank and regulators agree on a broader plan to repay all obligations remaining from last year’s US$45 billion government bailout, a source close to the department said.
Treasury officials are concerned that a sale now of its 7.7 billion shares in the New York-based bank may weaken investor demand should Citigroup subsequently be required to raise capital as a condition of exiting the bailout program, said the source, who declined to be identified because the government has not discussed the plan publicly.
Citigroup executives have pressed Treasury for at least three months to sell the stake as a first step toward leave the bailout program, according to people familiar with the matter. They want to escape government-imposed pay limits that may make the company vulnerable to employee-poaching by unfettered rivals. Bank of America Corp, the only other large US bank under pay limits, last week announced a plan to exit the program.
“This should be well thought-out for the benefit of all constituencies and in this case that includes shareholders, the government and the taxpayers,” said Dennis Santiago, chief executive officer of analysis firm Institutional Risk Analytics in Torrance, California.
“Just because Bank of America goes doesn’t mean you have to rush Citigroup,” he said.
The government is trying to wind down bailout programs extended as financial markets convulsed late last year. US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said in an interview on Friday that most taxpayer money injected into banks through the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) would eventually be recovered.
While holding off on a sale of its Citigroup stake, the Treasury has pushed regulators behind the scenes to accelerate discussions with all large banks about their plans to exit TARP, the person close to the department said.
Last month, the Federal Reserve asked nine of the biggest US banks to submit plans to repay the government’s capital injections. In testimony last week before the Senate Banking Committee in Washington, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Bank of America received approval to exit TARP only after regulators “felt it was safe and reasonable and appropriate.”
Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America, the biggest US lender, agreed to raise at least US$18.8 billion of capital, a press release said on Wednesday. It said later that it had raised US$19.3 billion.
JPMorgan Chase & Co, Goldman Sachs Group Inc and Morgan Stanley, all based in New York, repaid their bailout funds in June. San Francisco-based Wells Fargo & Co, which still has US$25 billion of TARP money, isn’t subject to pay limits because it never needed a second helping of bailout funds, as Citigroup and Bank of America did.
In October, Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit, 52, said he was “focused on repaying TARP as soon as possible.”
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South