Mining giant Rio Tinto yesterday confirmed a huge take-up for its record rights offering after investors snapped up the Australian portion, allowing it to pay off a large chunk of its heavy debt.
The dual-listed firm, whose share offer came at rock-bottom prices in Sydney and London, announced a 95 percent subscription among Australian investors following a 97 percent take-up in Britain.
Rio can now slash its debt bill incurred by last year’s acquisition of Canada’s Alcan. The US$15.2 billion offering is the industry’s biggest and the fifth-largest in history.
The Anglo-Australian giant announced the move last month along with an iron-ore joint venture with fierce rival BHP Billiton, snubbing a massive cash injection by China’s Chinalco (中國鋁業).
“It’s positive that the rights issue has been completed — it certainly takes a lot of stress off the balance sheet,” said Michael Bush, head of credit research at National Australia Bank.
“It was a fairly heavily discounted rights issue so it was a bit of a no-brainer in terms of whether people should take it up. It’s positive for Rio that the money’s in the door and they can now pay down debt,” he said.
The new shares were issued at a price of A$28.29 (US$22.50), a massive discount to their closing price of A$51.75 in Sydney on Wednesday.
Chinalco on Thursday said it had taken up its allocation to remain Rio’s biggest shareholder, warning that it would keep a close eye on developments.
China has said it may oppose Rio’s joint venture with BHP, aimed at merging their vast Western Australia operations, on anti-monopoly grounds.
“[The rights offering] has put behind them the Chinalco tie-up and they’re able to get on with their business,” Tim Schroeders of Pergana Capital said.
“They don’t have to worry about the next refinancing window and they can start to plan for the longer term in terms of projects or financing acquisitions,” he said.
Analysts also said the successful rights issue would strengthen Rio’s hand as it looks to sell off assets. The miner dropped US$38 billion into the red with its purchase of aluminium company Alcan.
“It’s given them a bit of respite in terms of looking to sell assets at bargain basement prices,” Schroeders said.
Auckland rang in 2026 with a downtown fireworks display launched from New Zealand’s tallest structure, Sky Tower, making it the first major city to greet the new year at a celebration dampened by rain, while crowds in Taipei braved the elements to watch Taipei 101’s display. South Pacific countries are the first to bid farewell to 2025. Clocks struck midnight in Auckland, with a population of 1.7 million, 18 hours before the famous ball was to drop in New York’s Times Square. The five-minute display involved 3,500 fireworks launched from the 240m Sky Tower. Smaller community events were canceled across New Zealand’s
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday said it is closely monitoring developments in Venezuela, and would continue to cooperate with democratic allies and work together for regional and global security, stability, and prosperity. The remarks came after the US on Saturday launched a series of airstrikes in Venezuela and kidnapped Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, who was later flown to New York along with his wife. The pair face US charges related to drug trafficking and alleged cooperation with gangs designated as terrorist organizations. Maduro has denied the allegations. The ministry said that it is closely monitoring the political and economic situation
‘SLICING METHOD’: In the event of a blockade, the China Coast Guard would intercept Taiwanese ships while its navy would seek to deter foreign intervention China’s military drills around Taiwan this week signaled potential strategies to cut the nation off from energy supplies and foreign military assistance, a US think tank report said. The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) conducted what it called “Justice Mission 2025” exercises from Monday to Tuesday in five maritime zones and airspace around Taiwan, calling them a warning to “Taiwanese independence” forces. In a report released on Wednesday, the Institute for the Study of War said the exercises effectively simulated blocking shipping routes to major port cities, including Kaohsiung, Keelung and Hualien. Taiwan would be highly vulnerable under such a blockade, because it
UNRELENTING: China attempted cyberattacks on Taiwan’s critical infrastructure 2.63 million times per day last year, up from 1.23 million in 2023, the NSB said China’s cyberarmy has long engaged in cyberattacks against Taiwan’s critical infrastructure, employing diverse and evolving tactics, the National Security Bureau (NSB) said yesterday, adding that cyberattacks on critical energy infrastructure last year increased 10-fold compared with the previous year. The NSB yesterday released a report titled Analysis on China’s Cyber Threats to Taiwan’s Critical Infrastructure in 2025, outlining the number of cyberattacks, major tactics and hacker groups. Taiwan’s national intelligence community identified a large number of cybersecurity incidents last year, the bureau said in a statement. China’s cyberarmy last year launched an average of 2.63 million intrusion attempts per day targeting Taiwan’s critical