Oil prices pulled back on Friday after OPEC questioned whether crude can remain so high and the US dollar gained against the euro.
On the New York Mercantile Exchange, benchmark light, sweet crude for July delivery fell US$1.88 to settle at US$134.86 while, in London, July Brent crude lost US$1.84 to settle at US$134.25 on the ICE Futures exchange.
Friday’s close puts the price of the NYMEX contract more than US$4 below the all-time trading high it struck last Friday, but still more than 10 percent higher than it was before its latest surge, which began just over a week ago. The price for a barrel has swung back and forth in a band about US$10 wide since then.
In its monthly market report, OPEC said oil’s recent volatility “reconfirms the view that current price levels do not reflect supply and demand realities.”
The cartel also lowered its global demand forecast for this year, saying it now expected demand to increase by 1.28 percent to an average of 86.9 million barrels per day, down from a previous forecast of 1.35 percent.
“A review of prospects for the remainder of the year also shows little support for prices to remain at current levels,” OPEC said.
That downward revision follows similar moves by the US Energy Department and the International Energy Agency earlier in the week.
Phil Flynn, an analyst at Alaron Trading Corp in Chicago, said the revised forecasts suggest global demand for oil is slowing. That trend could accelerate, he added, if prices don’t come down soon.
“It’s a sign that maybe the bull run could come to an end. You don’t want to say that for sure, but you’re starting to see some shifts,” Flynn said.
Oil prices were also pressured by speculation that Saudi Arabia may boost production following a report in the Middle East Economic Survey, an industry publication.
Crude prices have fluctuated widely since they surged nearly US$11 in a single session to a trading record above US$139 a week ago. Some investors believe prices could yet push higher, while others think prices are due to fall, perhaps sharply.
Analysts call oil’s current wavering “range-trading,” as traders await direction from a significant move in the dollar or change in supply-and-demand fundamentals.
“There is no driver out there to cause prices to break out of this range yet,” said Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin Gertz in Singapore.
A stronger US dollar also helped keep oil prices in check on Friday.
‘NOT AN INCH’: The president said after incursions by Chinese warplanes that there should be very smooth collaboration between the executive and military branches President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday said that Taiwan would not budge “an inch” on issues of sovereign territory and would stalwartly defend its democratic freedoms. Tsai made the remarks during an inspection of surface-to-air missiles at an air force base in Hualien. She was accompanied by National Security Council (NSC) Secretary-General Wellington Koo (顧立雄), Minister of National Defense Yen De-fa (嚴德發), Chief of the General Staff Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光) and Republic of China Air Force Commander Hsiung Hou-chi (熊厚基). After attending a briefing, Tsai was given a demonstration of procedures for a missile launch. Tsai granted the base a one-time subsidy to boost troop
RIVERSIDE CAMP: As rescuers continued their search for a missing man, Taipower said that the floodgates at a hydro plant on the Lishi Creek opened due to a malfunction Three people have been confirmed dead and one was missing after being swept away by a flash flood while camping in Nantou County’s Renai Township (仁愛), police said yesterday. Six people from two families were camping near Lishi Creek (栗栖溪) when the riverbanks were suddenly flooded just after 4am, carrying away four of the campers — including two children — who were asleep in their tents, police said. A man who was among those swept away was able to climb ashore and call for help, police said, adding that another man had gone missing in the turmoil at the campsite.
ON THEIR OWN: The KMT has decided not to participate as a party at this year’s forum, and if any members do go, they would not be representing the party, Alicia Wang said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday announced that it would not send a delegation “as a political party” to this year’s Straits Forum, after a Chinese TV program described the planned visit to the annual meeting as “suing for peace.” The 12th forum is scheduled to open in Xiamen, China, on Saturday. On Tuesday last week, the KMT announced that former legislative speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) would lead the party’s delegation to the forum, with KMT Secretary-General Lee Chien-lung (李乾龍) as deputy head. However, on Thursday last week, China Central Television’s (CCTV) Yangshipin (央視頻) program, hosted by Li Hong (李紅), included a headline
‘NO EQUILIBRIUM’: Taiwan’s increased defense spending is a good step, but it needs to do more to have the ability to deter aggression from China, a senior US official said The US plans to sell as many as seven major weapons systems — including mines, cruise missiles and drones — to Taiwan, four people familiar with the discussions said. Pursuing seven sales at once is a rare departure from years of precedent in which US military sales to Taiwan were spaced out and carefully calibrated to minimize tensions with Beijing. However, US President Donald Trump’s administration has this year become more aggressive with China, and the sales would land as relations between Beijing and Washington are at their lowest point in decades over accusations of spying, lingering trade tensions, disputes about the