Societe Generale SA (SocGen), hurt by trading losses incurred by trader Jerome Kerviel, is selling shares at 47.50 euros (US$68.91) as it seeks to raise 5.5 billion euros in a rights offer.
That's a wider-than-expected discount of 39 percent to the last closing price of 77.72 euros, Bloom-berg calculations show. Analysts had been expecting a discount of as much as 30 percent. Stockholders can buy one new share for every four held, SocGen said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.
The discount "doesn't show great confidence in selling the shares,'' said Pierre Flabbee, an analyst at Kepler Equities in Paris, who has a "reduce'' rating on the stock. "But this rights issue is a matter of life or death and the management may not want to take any risks placing the shares.''
The bank also said that it earned 947 million euros last year. That's more than the range of between 600 million euros and 800 million the bank estimated on Jan. 24, the day it announced a 4.9 billion euro trading loss and 2.05 billion euros of writedowns linked to risky US mortgages.
Operating income, including the losses that SocGen blames on Kerviel, fell to 1.8 billion euros from 8 billion euros in 2006.
The subscription period will run from Feb. 21 to Feb. 29, during which time the rights will trade separately on Euronext.
The new shares will carry dividend rights from the start of this year.
The bank said it's aiming for a 2010 gross operating profit of 1 billion euros and repeated that it will pay a dividend of 45 percent of net income from this year to 2010.
The stock offering, which is guaranteed by investment banks, is lead managed by JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley & Co and SocGen's own investment bank.
Credit Suisse Group and Merrill Lynch & Co are co-book runners.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures