The South Korean antitrust agency has formed a task force to investigate the licensing and business practices of the wireless technology company Qualcomm, the latest in a string of legal battles facing the company, officials said on Tuesday.
Qualcomm, based in San Diego, faces similar complaints in Japan, Europe and the US, where rivals are accusing it of abusing its market dominance in wireless technology to demand excessive royalties and block fair competition.
Qualcomm is known for developing code-division multiple access (CDMA) wireless technology, which is a rival standard to GSM technology. It makes money by selling chips that power cellphones, as well as collecting royalties or licensing its technology to other chip makers and mobile phone manufacturers.
The creation of a task force, which is modeled after the one investigating antitrust complaints against Microsoft, means that the case in question merits a full-blown investigation, said Na Yang-ju, a spokesman for the South Korean Fair Trade Commission.
But commission officials also acknowledged that the case against Qualcomm was more complicated than they had expected. A year ago, the commission ruled that Microsoft was guilty of breaching fair trade rules, a decision the company is appealing.
"We have been investigating Qualcomm's case since last April but we have found it to be a complicated case where facts are difficult to establish," a commission investigator, Lee Seung-kyu, said.
South Korea is home to several leading mobile phone makers as well as smaller companies that provide technology and components. More than 80 percent of the country's population of 48 million carry cellphones, all based on Qualcomm technology.
"Companies here have constantly complained about Qualcomm demanding too much royalty," said Kevin Lee, an industry analyst at Woori Investment and Securities in Seoul.
"The investigation can be seen as political pressure on Qualcomm to be more friendly toward South Korean companies which use its technology," Lee added.
Executives at the company said they had no comment because they had not yet received official queries from the commission.
Investigators from the commission searched Qualcomm Korea's two offices last April, seeking data on Qualcomm's business dealings with Samsung, LG and Pantech.
The investigation into Qualcomm was set off last year by complaints from Nextreaming and Thin Multimedia, two South Korean companies that make software that allows cellphone users to surf the Internet.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying