More European countries are pressuring Apple Computer Inc to open its iTunes Music Store so purchased songs could be played on any portable music player and not just the iPod.
Consumer agencies in Norway, Sweden and Denmark last week sent a joint letter to Apple, saying the iPod maker is violating their contract and copyright laws with its product usage restrictions.
The regulators have extended their deadline from June 21 to Aug. 1 for the company to respond, according to Apple.
The agencies could take Apple to court if they're not satisfied with the answer.
The agencies could seek injunctions against Apple, banning iTunes from their markets.
However, the agencies are "hoping to establish a joint and constructive dialogue to rectify the situation," the Norwegian consumer ombudsman said.
The agencies contend that Apple's system of making its market-leading iPod players the only compatible portable player for iTunes downloads is illegal and tramples consumers' rights.
"Consumers must be free to choose the equipment and software they want to use. Access to content should not be limited by accidental choices of technology," Torgeir Waterhouse, a senior adviser on the Norwegian Consumer Council, wrote in a complaint that was upheld last week by the Norwegian consumer ombudsman.
The Scandinavian troubles for iTunes come as the French parliament is poised to vote soon on legislation that could force all electronic gadgets to be "interoperable."
A French National Assembly proposal would force Apple, Sony Corp and others to share their copy-protection technologies so that competitors could offer music players and online stores that are compatible with theirs.
The Senate has proposed a less restrictive bill that would let Apple maintain its exclusive link between the iPod and iTunes if it gets the authorization from copyright holders to do so.
The ombudsmen from the three Scandinavian countries contend the terms of Apple's contract with iTunes users are "unreasonable."
Besides the iPod-iTunes closed system, the agencies are critical of how the iTunes contract says Apple has the right to make changes -- without warning -- to how its service is used. The agencies are also taking issue at how Apple fully waives itself of responsibility for damages related to its service.
"The consumers are clearly the inferior partner in the contract, and this in itself is illegal," Norwegian Ombudsman Bjorn Erik Thon said.
"We have received the letter from the Norwegian Consumer Council. We are looking into it, and we are looking forward to resolving this matter," Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said on Tuesday. She declined further comment.
Legal experts say such liability waiver terms are commonly used by many software and electronics companies in the US, but Apple's market dominance in the online music market has made it a high-profile target.
PATENT DISPUTE
Separately, portable media player maker Creative Technology Ltd said the US International Trade Commission agreed to investigate whether Apple's rival iPod infringes on one of its patents.
Singapore-based Creative filed the ITC complaint and a federal lawsuit alleging that iPods infringed on its patent for a navigation system used to organize and access music on portable players.
Creative dubbed the patent, the "Zen patent," after its brand-name Zen media players.
Under the ITC complaint, Creative asked the agency to block imports of iPods, which are manufactured abroad.
The ITC will reach a conclusion as soon as possible, setting a target date within 45 days of the investigation's launch, Creative said.
The probe is the latest development in an increasingly twisted patent battle between the two companies.
In court documents, Apple has maintained no wrongdoing and has since filed two patent-infringement countersuits against Creative.
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.