Nearly 10,000 workers who make toys for McDonald's Happy Meals returned to work yesterday after staging a two-day strike at a factory in central Vietnam to protest alleged unfair and abusive labor practices, officials said.
The strike, which ended after a settlement was reached on Thursday, involved about 9,300 laborers, mostly young women, said Phan Viet Thong, chairman of the Danang City Federation of Labor. The workers walked off the job on Wednesday and gathered outside the Hong Kong-owned factory, Keyhinge Toys Vietnam Co Ltd, Thong said.
The employees claimed they had been treated badly.
They alleged supervisors routinely humiliated and cursed at them, and that factory bosses refused to pass on their complaints to company leaders, said a man from Danang City Industrial Zone Management Board who gave his name only as Dong.
The company has agreed to give the workers a 10 percent pay rise, limit their working hours to 10 hours daily, with overtime, and also give them Sunday off, Thong said.
In a statement that was issued on Thursday, Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald's Corp said that the company "takes these issues very seriously. We have a strict code of conduct for suppliers based on our belief that employees deserve to be treated with dignity and respect."
McDonald's spokeswoman Anna Rozenich would not comment on specific worker allegations but said, "All the issues have been resolved, whatever they are."
She said the Danang facility produces only a portion of McDonald's Happy Meal toys.
The strike was widely reported in Vietnam's state-controlled media, which said the workers alleged that they were forced to work 12-hour days with no overtime and were allowed only 45 minutes for lunch.
They also complained that their wages were cut if they visited the restroom more than twice a day or if a visit to the doctor took longer than two hours.
"In the company, there is no water for workers to drink, let alone water to wash after the shift ends," a worker identified as Dang Thi Nhan T., told the Tien Phong newspaper. "Many workers have fainted during working hours."
In a statement, Y.P. Cheng, the owner of Keyhinge Toys, said the dispute had been resolved, but he did not comment on the workers' allegations.
The workers received a pay increase from 2,500 dong (US$0.16) to 2,750 dong (US$0.175) an hour, labor leader Thong said.
The company also agreed to issue more bathroom passes and to order supervisors to improve the overall factory climate, he said.
The strike wasn't the first labor dispute involving the toy company, the largest employer in Danang -- once the site of a large US military base and a popular holiday spot for US soldiers during the Vietnam War.
In 1998, Keyhinge Toys was accused of paying workers less than the government-mandated minimum wage and failing to set up a labor union despite multiple requests from the Danang City Federation of Labor.
At the time, McDonald's said there had been inspections at the plant, which opened in 1996, and that an audit by SGS Switzerland found the factory met Vietnamese safety regulations.
* Routine abuse and humiliation by supervisors.
* Factory bosses refused to pass on complaints to management.
* Forced to work 12-hour days with no overtime.
* Allowed only 45 minutes for lunch.
* Wages cut if they visited the restroom more than twice a day.
* No potable water in the factory.
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted