Saudi Arabia signed upstream gas exploration and production agreements with Russia's Lukoil and Sinopec of China yesterday as Spanish and Italian firms lined up to ink deals later in the day that the kingdom hopes will attract billions of dollars in investments.
Contracts to explore for and produce non-associated gas in the northern part of the vast Rub al-Khali, or Empty Quarter desert, were also to be signed at the same ceremony in Riyadh by a consortium formed by Spanish oil group Repsol YPF and Italy's Eni.
State-owned Saudi Aramco is a partner in the three ventures, controlling 20 percent of the stakes in each of the projects in three regions covering a total area of 120,000km2.
"We expect investment in the first phase [exploration] to reach US$300 million," said China Petroleum and Chemical Corp (Sinopec,
The Sinopec-Aramco joint company will be incorporated in the Virgin Islands, he said, noting that last year China imported 11.92 million tonnes of crude from Saudi Arabia and this year plans to ship in 13.15 million tonnes.
Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Nuaimi said the contract area for Sinopec covered 38,800km2.
"Efforts are also currently underway to establish a partnership between Aramco and Sinopec to provide the Chinese market with petroleum products through investments in joint venture refineries," Nuaimi told reporters.
Vagit Alekperov, president and chief executive officer of Lukoil had first put pen to paper with Abdullah Jumah, president and CEO of Saudi Aramco and the kingdom's oil minister.
"For the first time in the history of bilateral relations the doors to Saudi Arabia have been opened to the Russian petroleum business community," said Alekperov.
"The size of the investment will depend on the size of prospection and exploration work and it could go up to around US$three billion," he said.
Al-Nuaimi looked to future profits. "The area Lukoil and Saudi Aramco will jointly explore measuring 29,900km2 contains promising indications that we expected will yield profitable returns to the kingdom and Lukoil," the minister noted.
Under the terms of the contracts being signed yesterday, the exploration phase has been set at 10 years, divided into three periods of five, three and two years, with the latter two optional, a senior oil ministry official said Saturday night.
The contracts, awarded in late January, will run for a maximum of 40 years, the ministry's director general in the oil-rich Eastern Province, Yahya Shinawi, told reporters.
The north Rub al-Khali basin has been divided into three "contract areas," designated A for Lukoil, B for Sinopec and C for the Spanish-Italian consortium.
Associated gas and oil are "outside the scope" of the agreements, although they provide for the conditional exploitation of 500 million barrels of oil in place, he said.
The number of people from Hong Kong applying for residency in Taiwan last year rose 41 percent from a year earlier to 5,858, National Immigration Agency statistics showed. The statistics also showed that 600 applications were filed by Hong Kong residents in the first quarter of this year — three times the number filed in the same period last year — with applicants apparently not deterred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Just one day after it was reported that the Chinese government plans to enact new national security laws in Hong Kong, inquiries regarding immigration to Taiwan grew 10-fold, a Hong Kong-based immigration
‘BEGINNING OF THE END’: Democracy advocate Joshua Wong urged Hong Kongers to stand up and fight, and let the Chinese government know that they will not cave Hong Kong protesters yesterday battled with riot police in busy downtown areas, showing their opposition toward China’s dramatic move to crack down on dissent in the biggest demonstration since the coronavirus swept through the territory in January. Police deployed a water cannon and fired tear gas in the Causeway Bay shopping area after hundreds of protesters had gathered to oppose new national security legislation from China. Police warned the crowd they were taking part in an illegal gathering, and later said in a statement that “rioters threw umbrellas, water bottles and other objects at them.” At least 120 people were arrested,
‘TAIWAN IS SAFE’: As there have been no new local cases for 42 days, people should feel free to travel around the nation — as long as they follow disease prevention rules No new cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday and only 20 of the people hospitalized after testing positive are still being treated in hospitals, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday in Pingtung County’s Kenting (墾丁) as he promoted a “new disease prevention lifestyle” for the nation. As yesterday was the 42nd consecutive day with no new domestic cases, and experts consider 28 consecutive days with no domestic case — the span of two incubation periods — a sign that a community is relatively safe, Taiwan is safe, said Chen, who heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC),
SMOOTHER TRANSIT: Japan Airlines reportedly planned to land the flight at Haneda Airport, but changed it to Narita for direct flights to Taiwan The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday thanked Japan for allowing 94 Taiwanese on a chartered plane evacuating others stranded in Russia, where COVID-19 cases are rising and many international flights have been canceled. Ninety-four Taiwanese exchange students and expats, as well as two Russian spouses, arrived at Narita International Airport in Japan yesterday morning on a charter flight operated by Japan Airlines, before taking a transfer flight to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport last night, ministry spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) said. As of press time last night, Russia had reported more than 362,000 cases of COVID-19, including more than 3,800 deaths. The government had