In a concert that might go down in rock history, the US band Eagles of Death Metal on Tuesday did their damnedest to exorcise the horror of the Bataclan massacre as they played in front of its survivors in Paris.
Despite fears the concert could bring back the trauma of November last year’s slaughter in which 90 people died, the group whipped the crowd into a frenzy of joy, with fans embracing each other in tears at the end.
Eagles frontman Jesse Hughes bounded off the stage to hug a survivor in her wheelchair, as the night wore on and the emotion grew.
Photo: AFP
The ultimate rock showman, who smashed his guitar on stage at one point to wild applause, had choked up the night before as he told reporters how he feared “falling to pieces on stage.”
In the event, he turned in a bravura performance that many fans hailed as his best.
Deafening cheers and applause rang out as the group began their set, with many survivors — including the band — hoping the gig would help them turn the page on their ordeal.
Rich in symbolism, the band appeared to the playback of an old song Paris s’eveille (“Paris Wakes Up”) a portrait of a city about to begin a new day by French singer Jacques Dutronc.
The band then tore into a favorite song, I Only Want You, but stopped halfway.
“Let’s take a moment to remember, then we will get back to the fun,” said drummer for the night Josh Homme, Hughes’ best friend and lead singer of Queens of the Stone Age.
Eagles of Death Metal was playing at the Bataclan concert hall on Nov. 13 last year when attackers opened fire on defenseless fans.
The assault was the bloodiest in a string of attacks in central Paris and the national stadium that left 130 dead and 350 injured, many grievously.
Some survivors looked to the return of the band as a moment of catharsis, although some psychologists feared it could be too soon.
There were no scenes of panic, although Emmanuel Wechta, who is on crutches because of his wounds, said: “I did look at my watch after 40 minutes, which was when the killers came into the Bataclan, but it was fine.
“I wasn’t there for therapy, but to enjoy myself and that I did. I really succeeded in letting myself go,” the 42-year-old said.
However, 26-year-old Alexis, who survived the massacre by playing dead for two hours, had a more troubled night.
“About three-quarters of it was very hard for me. I was sitting beside the injured on the balcony 3 meters from an exit, but I stayed. The thing that I found most difficult was the snare drum, which made me think of the sound of the shooting at the Bataclan. But in the end it was a very positive evening — I succeeded in going out to a concert,” he said.
From the start it was clear the Eagles were putting their trust “in the healing power of rock ‘n’ roll.”
“We are having a good time tonight — Amen!” said Hughes, who is also a preacher. “Ain’t nobody going to stop us.”
A fan gave him a homemade scarf of the tricolore, France’s national flag, which he proceeded to drape over the drum kit.
Hughes, wearing a black Mon Amis (My Friends) tour T-shirt and trademark red braces, pointed to Homme and said: “That’s my best friend in front of me.
“But I have got a whole shitload of best friends here, too,” he said, pointing at the audience.
He dedicated a song, Secret Plans, to Nick Alexander, the band’s merchandiser, who was among those killed at the Bataclan.
However, the highlight for many, including Alexis, was when Hughes appeared alone on stage near the end with a tricolore guitar to sing the Rolling Stone’s Brown Sugar.
“From the moment we all sang the refrain together I was fine right to the end of the concert,” he said.
“You are stuck with me now! I’m Parisian now! I needed you so much and you did not let me down,” Hughes shouted. “I am so drunk with this I cannot walk off this stage. Can you not see that?”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told