Seven members of an Asia-based organized crime syndicate have been arrested for exploiting more than 500 women — mostly from China and Korea — in a prostitution ring that spanned Canada, authorities said on Thursday.
The ring operated in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, authorities said after a year-long investigation.
Two suspects — Daegun Chun, 46, and Yong Li, 31 — appeared in court on Thursday to face charges related to the alleged smuggling of women into Canada for the purposes of trafficking them in prostitution.
So far, those arrested have been charged with procuring minors, advertising sexual services and gaining a material benefit from sexual services.
More serious charges such as gangsterism and human trafficking could be coming, authorities said.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the alleged victims received assistance from a criminal organization to enter the country under false pretenses before being exploited and made to work under appalling conditions. After several weeks or months, they were returned home.
ON THE RUN
Charged earlier this week by police were Le Yu, 38, and Anyang Cui, 26, both of Montreal, and Kai Chen, 37, and Nan Wu, 33, from suburban Notre-Dame-de-L’Ile-Perrot.
Jeonghwan Seo, 34, of Toronto, was arrested late on Wednesday.
Police say that leaves Melanie Williams-Johnson, 20, of Montreal, as the last suspect still on the run.
Police Constable Erique Gasse said that 500 is a conservative estimate for the number of alleged victims and that the police probe began in January last year.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against