Divers have retrieved two more bodies from the wreck of the South Korean ferry that sank last month, as conditions on the ship deteriorated further, officials said yesterday.
The bodies were found late on Friday in the inverted, submerged ship, bringing the confirmed death toll from the April 16 disaster to 275, South Korean Coast Guard spokesman Ko Myung-suk told journalists. That leaves 29 missing.
Divers have now swept through most of the ship, which is resting on its side at a depth of more than 40 meters off the country’s southern coast.
However, as days go by, they are retrieving fewer and fewer bodies.
The divers have also reported that partition walls on the ship have started warping and are at risk of collapsing, which would further complicate their work, a South Korean government task force said in a statement.
The divers have been under immense pressure from the authorities and the victims’ families to retrieve all the trapped bodies as quickly as possible.
They face enormous hazards and challenges, including near-zero visibility, strong currents and often treacherous weather conditions.
A storm warning was likely to be raised later yesterday, Ko said.
“But the government will push through with the search operations,” he said.
The Sewol was carrying 476 people when it sank after listing.
Of those on board, 325 were children from a high school in Ansan City in the southern suburbs of Seoul who were on an organized trip to the southern resort island of Jeju.
Initial investigations suggest the ferry was carrying up to three times its safe cargo capacity.
The ferry had been habitually overloaded, investigators said.
The Sewol’s regular captain, who was off duty on the day of the accident, has told prosecutors that the ferry operator — Chonghaejin Marine Co — “brushed aside” repeated warnings that the 20-year-old ship had stability issues following a renovation in 2012.
A court warrant was issued late on Friday to arrest the head of Chonghaejin, Kim Han-sik, Prosecutor Yang Jong-jin told reporters yesterday.
He faces charges of manslaughter through negligence and breaches of vessel safety laws, Yonhap news agency said.
The latest move brought to five the number of Chonghaejin officials arrested over the disaster.
Meanwhile, there has been no respite in nationwide mourning over the catastrophe. The government said more than 1.65 million people had paid their respects at memorial places across South Korea since the mourning period began.
At a public park in Ansan, about 2,000 students held a candlelit vigil on Friday night for the victims, with yellow ribbons tied to their arms.
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said
For nearly a decade, the UN Security Council has been frequently paralyzed by Russia’s obstinacy over the Syrian crisis. Today, however, it is the US-China rivalry that has infected a growing array of issues, according to officials and diplomats. As recently as 2017, an understanding between Washington and Beijing allowed the UN on three occasions — involving separate sets of economic sanctions — to project international unity in the face of the North Korean nuclear threat. Three years later, the COVID-19 pandemic has seen a ferocious competition erupt between the UN’s two main contributors, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on May
INDIA Pride to be preserved The nation would not let its “pride be hurt” in its latest border flare-ups with China, but is determined to settle the dispute through talks, Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said in a television interview late on Saturday. “Situations arise with China. It has happened before,” Singh said, adding that the government was striving to make sure “tension does not escalate.” The government has turned down US President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate, he said. IRAN Speaker says talks futile Newly elected Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf yesterday said that any negotiations with the US would be “futile.” The nation’s
HISTORIC FLIGHT: The astronauts named their capsule ‘Endeavour,’ after the space shuttle on which they both flew, while Elon Musk said he was overcome with emotion Two veteran NASA astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) yesterday after Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Saturday became the first commercial company to launch a rocket carrying humans into orbit, ushering in a new era in space travel. SpaceX’s two-stage Falcon 9 rocket with astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard blasted off flawlessly in a cloud of bright orange flames and smoke from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a 19-hour voyage to the space station. “Let’s light this candle,” Hurley, the mission commander, told SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California, before liftoff at 3:22pm from NASA’s