An international air and sea taskforce hunting for the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was redirected yesterday to an area 1,100km north of where they have been searching for more than a week, after Australian authorities received new radar information from Malaysia.
The dramatic shift in the search area, moving it further than the distance between London and Berlin, followed analysis of radar data that showed the missing plane had traveled faster, and so would have run out of fuel quicker than previously thought.
The new search area is larger, but closer to the Australian west coast city of Perth, allowing aircraft to spend longer on site by shortening travel times. It is also vastly more favorable in terms of the weather as it is out of the deep sea region known as the Roaring 40s for its huge seas and frequent storm-force winds.
“I’m not sure that we’ll get perfect weather out there, but it’s likely to be better more often than what we’ve seen in the past,” John Young, general manager of the emergency response division of Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), told reporters, adding the previous search site was being abandoned.
“We have moved on from those search areas to the newest credible lead,” he said.
For more than a week, ships and surveillance planes have been scouring seas 2,500km southwest of Perth, where satellite images had suggested there could be debris from Flight MH370, which went missing on March 8 with 239 people aboard.
Ten aircraft searching yesterday were immediately redirected to the new area of 319,000km2, roughly the size of Poland, about 1,850km west of Perth. The Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation was also redirecting satellites there, AMSA said.
However, a flotilla of Australian and Chinese ships would take longer to shift north, with the Australian naval ship the HMAS Success not due to arrive until this morning.
The shift was based on analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said.
At that time, the Boeing 777 was making a radical diversion west from its course from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan said radar and satellite polling data had been combined with information about the likely performance of the aircraft, speed and fuel consumption in particular, to arrive at the best assessment of the area in which the aircraft was likely to have entered the water.
An international investigative team continued to analyze the data, Dolan said, which “could result in further refinement of the potential flight path of MH370.”
The latest twist underscores the perplexing and frustrating hunt for evidence in the near three-week search. It comes less than a day after the latest reports of sightings of possible wreckage, captured by Thai and Japanese satellites in roughly the same frigid expanse of sea as earlier images reported by France, Australia and China.
Satellite images had shown suspected debris, including pieces as large as 24m, within the original search area in the southern Indian Ocean.
Potential debris has also been seen from search aircraft, but none has been picked up or confirmed as the wreckage of Flight MH370, which disappeared from civilian radar screens less than an hour after taking off.