A 100-minute film produced by the Chinese military that has been circulating widely on the Internet accuses the US of trying to undermine the Chinese Communist Party’s control of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) and impose US values on China.
Among the US tactics denounced in the film are military-to-military exchanges, which Washington has long promoted to improve communications in the event of a crisis. The video, complete with an ominous soundtrack, warns that such visits are intended to corrupt Chinese officers.
The film, titled Silent Contest, also takes aim at Western non-governmental organizations, the US and British consulates in Hong Kong, and prominent reformers in China. It accuses Washington of sponsoring exiled minority figures such as Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama and Uighur dissident Rebiya Kadeer.
It is not clear if the video was intentionally released or leaked, but it began disappearing from Chinese Web sites on Thursday night last week. Its heavy ideological content and propaganda style suggest it may have been produced to support the work of the Chinese military’s political commissars, who are charged with indoctrinating troops and maintaining their morale, discipline and loyalty. As such, the film appears to offer a remarkably straightforward glimpse into the Cold War mindset of the Chinese military leadership.
Cutting from crude graphics of US dollar bills, to shots of the Statue of Liberty and blurry footage of US leaders, the video bemoans the fall of the Soviet Union and warns that China faces a similar fate if it fails to counter Washington’s nefarious efforts to infiltrate Chinese society.
The PLA’s General Staff Department is listed as a producer of the film, along with its National Defense University and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
University president Wang Xibin (王喜斌), a PLA lieutenant-general, appears on film describing how the US grooms “friendly forces, so-called democratic forces,” inside China and on the “exterior goes against the party’s absolute control of the army.”
He also criticizes visits by US and Chinese military officials to each other’s countries, saying that the exchanges will increasingly be used by the US for “infiltration.”
The US has long urged a reluctant Beijing to boost military exchanges, saying that such visits yield transparency and trust. In recent months, several top Pentagon officers have traveled to China or hosted visits by their Chinese counterparts, a flurry that Washington has described as progress.
The film was undated, but contained footage of Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) after he took office in March. It makes no mention of US whistleblower Edward Snowden.
A spokesman for the US embassy in Beijing had no comment on the film.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses