Sun, Jul 21, 2013 - Page 6 News List

Rwandan claims must be verified, UN’s Ban says

Reuters, UNITED NATIONS

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has asked Rwanda’s government for evidence to support its allegation that UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) discussed collaboration with Hutu rebels linked to the 1994 Rwandan genocide, a UN spokesman said on Friday.

In a letter to US Ambassador Rosemary DiCarlo released this week, Rwandan UN Ambassador Eugene-Richard Gasana said UN intervention brigade commanders in the DR Congo have met with rebels from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).

The FDLR is made up of the remnants of Hutu killers who carried out the 1994 genocide of Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.

The letter, which was sent to DiCarlo in her role as this month’s president of the UN Security Council, said Rwandan Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo also wrote to Ban about the same matter.

In a letter to Mushikiwabo, Ban “notes with deep concern the allegations that meetings have taken place between senior commanders of the MONUSCO and the Intervention Brigade and the [FDLR],” Ban’s spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters.

The UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) is a 17,000-strong UN peacekeeping force that has been in the mineral-rich eastern DR Congo for more than a decade. It is the largest UN peacekeeping force in the world.

The complex conflict has dragged on, with millions of people dying from the violence, famine and disease since the 1990s.

That has led the UN to create a new “intervention brigade” — part of MONUSCO but assigned the additional task of taking steps to neutralize armed groups, above all M23 rebels in the DR Congo.

M23 is a Tutsi-dominated movement made up of former soldiers that has demanded political concessions from Congolese President Joseph Kabila’s government.

Ban said there was nothing so far to back up the allegations of Rwanda, which also accused MONUSCO and the DR Congo army of deliberately bombing Rwandan territory on Monday.

“Following initial inquiries within MONUSCO, [Ban] has no reason to believe that senior commanders of the Force Intervention Brigade would meet with the FDLR to discuss matters related to their ‘tactical and strategic collaboration,’” Ban said in his letter, according to Nesirky.

Ban and MONUSCO have also denied UN involvement in any bombing of Rwandan territory.

In its complaints to the UN, Rwanda also supported an allegation in the latest report by the UN Group of Experts that units of the DR Congo army have been cooperating with the FDLR.

Heavy fighting erupted between the army and the M23 rebels on Sunday last week about 12km northeast of Goma, ending several weeks of relative calm and reviving memories of an attack in November last year when the Tutsi-led insurgents briefly seized the city of 1 million people.

Hundreds of people protested in Goma on Thursday against Kabila, accusing him of incompetence in efforts to neutralize rebels who have long plagued the region.

Nesirky said MONUSCO reported on Friday that “the situation remains calm but tense around the city of Goma, in North Kivu province. It [MONUSCO] says that fighting between the Congolese armed forces and the M23 armed group has stopped.”

The DR Congo also rejected Rwanda’s allegations and again accused it of backing M23 rebels.

The UN Group of Experts said in their latest report that Rwanda had decreased but not ended support for M23, a charge Kigali dismissed.

This story has been viewed 941 times.
TOP top