Canadian women’s groups say they feel threatened by abortion policies advocated at home and abroad by the Conservative government.
“It’s a threat we’ve been feeling for months …We feel that sexual and reproductive health is not really a priority [for the government],” Canadians for Choice executive director Patricia LaRue said.
At issue are several private members bills dealing with abortion. One introduced last month would make it a criminal offence to “coerce” a woman into having an abortion.
The Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada said the problem of coercion does not occur on a grand scale, and that bill C-510 “should be scuttled in favor of a bill prohibiting the much more common practice of coercing a women into childbirth.”
Another bill, C-484, approved last month in a second reading, makes it a criminal offense for someone to attack a woman with the intent of killing her unborn child. Proponents say the bill is designed to close a gap in the criminal code, but opponents say it is another attempt to give legal status to the fetus, recriminalize abortion and open the door to restricting access to the procedure.
“There have been five bills since the Conservatives have come to power, which call into question, either directly or indirectly, the right to abortion in Canada …Abortion is more threatened than ever before in Canada,” said Alexa Conradi, president of the Quebec Women’s Federation.
The debate was reignited when Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper introduced his G8 maternal health initiative, which aims to strengthen nutrition and health care systems in the developing world but does not include funding for abortions in those countries.
Women’s groups, opposition lawmakers and aid organizations have slammed Harper for the initiative, accusing him of hypocrisy and pandering to conservatives..
Last week, Conservative Senator Nancy Ruth told a group of aid advocates and women’s rights groups in Ottawa that they should “shut the f..k up on this issue.”
“We’ve got five weeks or whatever left until the G8 starts. Shut the f—k up on this issue,” said Ruth, who touched off a firestorm.
“If you push it, there’ll be more backlash. This is now a political football. This is not about women’s health in this country,” she said.
She went on to say that Canada was “still a country with free and accessible abortion. Leave it there. Don’t make this an election issue.”
BACKLASH: The National Party quit its decades-long partnership with the Liberal Party after their election loss to center-left Labor, which won a historic third term Australia’s National Party has split from its conservative coalition partner of more than 60 years, the Liberal Party, citing policy differences over renewable energy and after a resounding loss at a national election this month. “Its time to have a break,” Nationals leader David Littleproud told reporters yesterday. The split shows the pressure on Australia’s conservative parties after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s center-left Labor party won a historic second term in the May 3 election, powered by a voter backlash against US President Donald Trump’s policies. Under the long-standing partnership in state and federal politics, the Liberal and National coalition had shared power
CONTROVERSY: During the performance of Israel’s entrant Yuval Raphael’s song ‘New Day Will Rise,’ loud whistles were heard and two people tried to get on stage Austria’s JJ yesterday won the Eurovision Song Contest, with his operatic song Wasted Love triumphing at the world’s biggest live music television event. After votes from national juries around Europe and viewers from across the continent and beyond, JJ gave Austria its first victory since bearded drag performer Conchita Wurst’s 2014 triumph. After the nail-biting drama as the votes were revealed running into yesterday morning, Austria finished with 436 points, ahead of Israel — whose participation drew protests — on 357 and Estonia on 356. “Thank you to you, Europe, for making my dreams come true,” 24-year-old countertenor JJ, whose
NO EXCUSES: Marcos said his administration was acting on voters’ demands, but an academic said the move was emotionally motivated after a poor midterm showing Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr yesterday sought the resignation of all his Cabinet secretaries, in a move seen as an attempt to reset the political agenda and assert his authority over the second half of his single six-year term. The order came after the president’s allies failed to win a majority of Senate seats contested in the 12 polls on Monday last week, leaving Marcos facing a divided political and legislative landscape that could thwart his attempts to have an ally succeed him in 2028. “He’s talking to the people, trying to salvage whatever political capital he has left. I think it’s
A documentary whose main subject, 25-year-old photojournalist Fatima Hassouna, was killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza weeks before it premiered at Cannes stunned viewers into silence at the festival on Thursday. As the cinema lights came back on, filmmaker Sepideh Farsi held up an image of the young Palestinian woman killed with younger siblings on April 16, and encouraged the audience to stand up and clap to pay tribute. “To kill a child, to kill a photographer is unacceptable,” Farsi said. “There are still children to save. It must be done fast,” the exiled Iranian filmmaker added. With Israel