UN investigators believe that Afghan police mistakenly shot and killed four UN employees during a Taliban attack in October last year, UN officials said on Monday.
Susana Malcorra, a top UN peacekeeping official, made the remark in a briefing about a UN board of inquiry into an Oct. 28 Taliban attack on a guesthouse in Kabul that resulted in the deaths of five UN employees.
She described confusing circumstances in which Taliban attackers and Afghan security forces who responded were dressed in identical police uniforms. It was a “very, very chaotic situation in the middle of the night,” she said.
Investigators believe three UN employees were shot and killed by the Afghan police while trying to escape from the guesthouse, Malcorra said.
“The sense is that it was friendly fire,” she said.
Malcorra said that UN security officer Louis Maxwell, an American, might also have been killed by Afghan police who appeared to have mistaken him for an insurgent. She rejected suggestions that Maxwell was killed at close range by Afghan troops in an execution-style shooting.
Maxwell was surrounded by Afghan troops but forensic analysis established that “he was killed by a long-distance shot ... beyond 5 meters,” Malcorra said.
Concern over the circumstances of Maxwell’s death were heightened when the German magazine Stern reported earlier this month that the security guard was shot execution-style by Afghan forces after heroically defending UN staff.
Stern, citing a joint probe by the UN and the FBI, broadcast an amateur video that it said backed its version of events.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky issued a statement saying: “Maxwell died protecting his UN colleagues, many of whom are alive today because of his heroic actions.”
The fifth UN victim died in a fire that began raging after the Taliban attackers set off grenades in the guesthouse, Malcorra said.
The UN has asked Afghan authorities to pursue the investigation, Malcorra said. Afghanistan’s UN mission declined to comment but said Ambassador Zahir Tanin had passed on the report to Kabul.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement that the inquiry report, which will not be made public, highlighted shortcomings in UN security measures and coordination between the UN, Afghan authorities and NATO partners.
UN officials have said privately that it also reflected the Afghan security forces’ lack of training and discipline.
The Afghan government originally said the Taliban killed all five UN staffers. Shortly after the attack, Ban criticized the police for taking so long to arrive at the site, where Maxwell was struggling to fend off the attackers.
Ban said in his statement that he has asked UN security chief Gregory Starr to review the security findings in the report and to lead a team to Kabul next week “to discuss next steps and follow up with the Afghan authorities.”
Meanwhile, the Afghan Interior Ministry said yesterday a rocket attack killed three civilians inside a home in the northern Kunduz province and wounded three others. The statement blamed insurgents for the Monday night attack.
In Kabul, the deputy police chief said a rocket hit the ground near the Ministry of Urban Development early yesterday, but there were no casualties.
In other news, two Chinese nationals kidnapped three months ago by the Taliban have been freed and are in good health, Beijing said yesterday.
The pair were kidnapped on Jan. 16 as they were working on a road project in Faryab Province. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for their abduction.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry statement gave no details on the circumstances or timing of their release. The Chinese were seized along with their two Afghan drivers and two guards, who were freed in late January after negotiations with tribal elders.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of