Shifting debris and twisted metal by hand, Haitian workers backed by Japanese UN military engineers on Monday rescued remaining valuable paintings and sculptures from the collapsed rubble of one of Haiti’s most notable art museums.
The workers and UN troops were trying to salvage what they could of Haiti’s rich artistic heritage, ravaged by the Jan. 12 earthquake that may have killed up to 300,000 people, the country’s president said.
Port-au-Prince’s Nader Art Museum, which with 12,000 paintings housed probably the world’s most important private collection of Haitian art, was reduced to rubble by the quake, which also badly damaged the presidential palace, the city cathedral and many other historic buildings.
Since the quake struck six weeks ago, gallery staff have been carefully extracting the most important works from the wreckage. Brightly colored canvases, many torn and smeared with dust, are piled to one side, while empty wooden frames are stacked in another pile.
Workers carry away wooden and metal sculptures, some missing arms and legs in a grotesque reflection of the horrific human injuries inflicted by the quake.
Georges Nader Jr, 40, son of museum owner Georges Nader, said the “search and rescue” phase of the museum salvage operation was almost over.
“We’ve been digging for a month ... the hand removal stage is almost over, then heavy machinery will move in,” he said. “But if you put a mechanical digger in there right away, you will lose everything.”
He was philosophical about the loss to the collection.
“I think about 50 percent, with some kind of restoration, will be salvageable,” Nader said.
A separate Nader gallery in Petionville district survived the quake.
About 95 percent of the Haitian masters part of the museum collection, including works by Hector Hyppolite (1894-1948) and Philome Obin (1892-1986), survived because they were housed in a front part of the collapsed building, Nader said.
“Some are not even scratched. We have someone working on restoration, where necessary, right now,” he said.
Asked if the collection was insured,” Nader laughed wryly: “If it was, I wouldn’t be here.”
Of the museum’s sculptures, reflecting the rich African heritage of Haiti, which won independence through an 1804 slave revolt, Nader put losses at between 60 percent and 70 percent.
“When we pulled the sculptures out, some of them had broken arms and legs,” he said.
Japanese UN officers wearing blue caps and helmets and the shoulder patches of Japan’s Central Readiness Regiment, supervised workers and a mechanical digger.
Around 200 Japanese troops are participating in the international relief operation in Haiti, and this number would rise to over 300 next month, Captain Shingo Hayakawa said.
Nader’s father George, 78, who started the collection in 1966, and his mother, both survived the quake.
Nader said he believed much of the Caribbean’s country’s artistic patrimony, including the famed 1950s mural paintings of the Sainte Trinite Cathedral, had been lost.
But amazingly, many of the city’s oldest houses, which are built of wood in the elaborate “gingerbread” Caribbean style, withstood the magnitude 7 quake, while hundreds of more modern concrete, steel and mortar structures crumbled.
“This would a good time to restore the old houses,” Nader said.
France, Haiti’s former colonial master, will draw up a preparatory study for reconstruction of the wrecked presidential palace, and has offered to restore a damaged 1822 painting depicting Haitian independence heroes which was salvaged by a French team from inside the ornate white palace.
In other news, six US-bound orphans seized by Haitian police despite having their papers in order remained in a government-run nursery more than two days later, the orphanage director said.
The seizure of the orphans and the brief detention of their escorts on Saturday came amid fears that foreigners are exploiting the post-quake chaos to illegally take children from the country — a perception fueled by an ongoing case involving 10 US Baptist missionaries.
“The youngest has developed diarrhea and is very dehydrated,” said Jan Bonnema of Prinsburg, Minnesota, founder and director with her husband, Bud, of the Children of The Promise orphanage, where the six children originated.
Bonnema, whose orphanage is located in the northern city of Cap-Haitien, said late on Monday that the children had been bound for the US via Miami, where their adoptive parents were waiting for them.
Police detained the children and the four women escorting them, including the orphanage’s Irish field director and one US adoptive mother, Sarah Thacker of Ferbus Falls, Minnesota, as they were about to depart from Port-au-Prince airport on Saturday, Bonnema said.
“They were just inside the terminal. They hadn’t gone through immigration,” she said in a telephone interview from Minnesota, because they were waiting for US embassy staff to come with adoption papers signed by Haiti’s prime minister.
US Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota has intervened on behalf of the women. She told The Associated Press that the orphanage is legitimate and said the adopting families in Minnesota have been working with her office.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told