Iran’s police chief on Saturday accused the Voice of America (VOA) and the BBC of being the arms of US and British intelligence agencies and warned of severe repercussions for journalists and activists caught having contacts with them, state media reported.
General Ismail Ahmadi Moghaddam, whose police forces have played a key role in the government crackdown on protesters since Iran’s disputed presidential election, was quoted by the official IRNA news agency as saying opposition activists have cooperated with the BBC and the Voice of America “with the aim of weakening and overthrowing the [ruling] system.”
“The BBC is the arm of MI6 [Britain’s foreign intelligence agency] and VOA belongs to the CIA,” IRNA quoted Moghaddam as saying. “Those who cooperate with foreign services through transmitting photos, reports, news and anti-revolutionary actions ... should know that all their actions are monitored.”
“We will settle accounts with them when the time comes,” Moghaddam said.
Tehran has repeatedly accused the US and Britain of fueling the country’s post-election unrest in a bid to oust Iran’s clerical rulers. It also frequently accuses its opponents of being in league with the country’s enemies and Moghaddam’s comments appear to be part of Tehran’s efforts to discredit the opposition by linking them with foreign powers.
The Voice of America and the BBC, which are funded by the US and British governments respectively, have their own Persian radio and TV services, which many Iranians tune in to despite a ban on satellite dishes and government attempts to jam the airwaves.
Last month, a top Iranian Intelligence Ministry official banned Iranians from having any contact with 60 foreign news organizations, Iranian opposition Web sites, human rights groups and non-governmental organizations. The official accused the media of provoking street riots in Iran.
The intelligence official, who was not identified by name, specifically mentioned VOA and BBC as well as a dozen other Persian-language opposition radios and news Web sites, saying the government would consider cooperation with the news outlets as collaboration with the nation’s enemies.
Moghaddam also vowed to crush possible opposition protests during celebrations for the Persian New Year next month.
Iranians regard the holiday as a chance to purify the soul for the new year, or Nowruz, which begins on March 21. Opposition supporters say they may hold street protests to coincide with the event.
Iran’s opposition used a religious holiday in late December to rally its supporters, holding massive demonstrations in the streets of Tehran. On that day, at least eight people were killed in clashes between security forces and demonstrators in the worst bloodshed since the height of the unrest last summer.
The turmoil erupted last June after Iran’s disputed presidential election. The opposition claimed that its leader, Mir Hossein Mousavi, was the rightful winner and that hard-line Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s win was fraudulent.
The opposition says more than 80 protesters were killed in the post-election crackdown, although the government puts the number of confirmed dead at less than 40.
Also on Saturday, the personal Web site of a senior opposition figure, Mahdi Karroubi, appeared to be hacked by a group calling itself the “Sun Army.” Instead of the page’s regular content, the group posted its name and a photo of the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, as well as his successor — now Iran’s current leader — Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
A text posted on a black background called Karroubi a “puppet sheik and traitor to Islamic Iran.”
Iranian authorities have blocked Karroubi Web sites and those of his party in the past. The Internet is the opposition leaders’ main form of communication with their supporters.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The