A work by Edgar Degas has been stolen from an exhibition in Marseille by thieves who left no sign of breaking in, police in the southern French city said on Thursday.
The pastel, called Les Choristes (The Chorus), which has an estimated value of 800,000 euros (US$1.1 million), was discovered to be missing from the Musee Cantini by a security guard when he opened up.
Police said the work, which had been on loan from the Musee d’Orsay in Paris for an exhibition due to end today, had been stolen overnight.
However, Jacques Dallest — the Marseille prosecutor leading the investigation involving France’s anti-art trafficking agency — said he had found no evidence of a break-in.
“There do not seem to be any signs of breaking and entering,” he said.
Investigators could not rule out the theory that the theft had been carried out by a “complicit insider,” he said.
The Musee Cantini is one of the best-known galleries in France’s second city with a permanent collection that includes works by Picasso, Matisse and Francis Bacon. The museum was closed yesterday while police began their search. The current exhibition, which is also featured paintings by Klimt, Toulouse-Lautrec and others, had been running since October.
The stolen Degas, which was created between 1876 and 1877, is small, measuring just 27cm by 32cm. However, a spokeswoman for the French national museum authority said that, while it was not one of the impressionist’s masterpieces, it was still a great blow to both the Paris and Marseille institutions.
“It’s not one of his best-known works, but it’s a tragedy none the less to lose something of this nature,” she said.
A museum official added that the work was “a painting of inestimable value.”
Female flight attendants working for Japan Airlines would next month be allowed to wear trousers and abandon high heels, the company said on Thursday, after a feminist campaign took off. The airline became one of the first major Japanese firms to announce the shift after a campaign known as #KuToo last year rejected mandatory high heels at work, drawing more than 32,000 signatures in an online petition. The campaign is part of a wider feminism movement in Japan, with Japan Airlines saying that the new policy was aimed at boosting a “diverse working environment.” PANTS PERMIT “This will be the first time to introduce
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including
PORNHUB: Campaigners warn that videos of serious crimes, such as rape, are being uploaded to the site, which has failed to ban or moderate illegal content British lawmakers and campaigners are calling for urgent action to stop videos of rape, revenge porn and child abuse being posted on Pornhub as traffic to the site booms amid a worldwide COVID-19 lockdown. Pornhub’s traffic is up a record 12 percent this month compared with last month, as millions of people across the world are told to stay in their homes. Pornhub owner Mindgeek has used the coronavirus lockdowns to promote its site, giving free Premium access to people living in isolation in Italy, Spain and France. The offer has led to a huge increase in visits to the site from affected
TARGETED: Although hackers are known to be seeking to capitalize on concern over COVID-19, a cybersecurity expert said he had never seen anything to this extent before Elite hackers tried to break into the WHO earlier this month, sources said, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyberattacks. The identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful, WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said. However, he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain COVID-19, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide. The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group,