Christmas in Cuba was awash with hard-to-get presents like flat-screen TVs and expensive candies as a wave of US-based Cubans visited for family reunions only made possible by a recent scrapping of US travel restrictions.
Adrian, one 17-year-old who flew in from the US state of Florida, where he was born to Cuban immigrants, was overjoyed as he threw his bags into a relative’s classic orange 1956 Chevrolet at Havana’s airport. He was seeing his grandfather for the first time.
“My parents emigrated 20 years ago and I’m so happy to be able to come and get to know my relatives,” he said, grinning.
Next to him, the grandfather, a 60-year-old truck driver named Evaristo Delgado, was likewise exuberant, though he slammed “the politics that separate the Cubans here from those over there.”
“Over there” mostly means Florida, the closest point in the US to the island nation that Washington has targeted with an economic embargo dating back five decades in reaction to the revolution led by former president Fidel Castro.
Former US president George W. Bush toughened the embargo by allowing Cuban-Americans to make only one trip every three years. In April of this year, though, US President Barack Obama relaxed the restrictions slightly, giving Cuban-Americans the right to freely travel to Cuba. Non-Cuban-Americans, however, remain barred from doing so.
The change has meant that this Christmas season, up to 10 flights a day were arriving from Miami in Havana, each of them filled with Cuban-Americans weighed down with gifts.
Jose Rodriguez, a 50-year-old mechanic standing at the airport with a bouquet of flowers in his hand, was waiting for one of those flights, carrying his 28-year-old niece. The last time he saw her was three years ago.
“Cuban families have to be able to come together. The restrictions don’t make any sense, nor does the embargo,” he said. “The people shouldn’t carry the blame of their governments.”
His niece, Nora Rodriguez, arrived and greeted her relatives with a flurry of hugs and kisses and happy tears. She moved to Miami 17 years ago.
Another US-based Cuban, Yaimelis, 37, said she arrived with her husband and their two children from North Carolina to share a typical Cuban Christmas with her family in Havana. For them, that means roast pork, rice and beans, and generous doses of Cuba’s famous rum.
“I came two months ago and now I’m back. Now we can travel when we want and we save up for it. It’s ridiculous to be split up because of politics. So many people drown at sea trying to join family members who have left,” she said.
Yaimelis left Cuba with her parents in 1980, when 125,000 departed for the US during a brief permission given by Castro’s government.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in