A prominent Serbian journalist said on Monday she has received death threats after reporting on dozens of unpunished crimes among members of nationalist-backed soccer fan groups.
Brankica Stankovic, of B92 Radio and Television, said she had received dozens of threats since the airing last week of her Insider documentary, which listed a number of unpunished offenses allegedly committed by soccer “hooligan” leaders, including drug trafficking, attacks and even murder.
Violent soccer fans are widely blamed for the burning of the US embassy in Belgrade last year and a series of recent attacks on foreigners, gays and liberals in Serbia.
The staunchly anti-Western groups affiliated with Belgrade clubs Red Star, Partizan and Rad are believed to have close ties to right-wing paramilitary groups that participated in the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
Stankovic said the threats against her and her TV station show that the state cannot control the extremists. She added that she has been granted police protection.
“It is not the threats that worry me so much but the fact that they are still powerful enough,” Stankovic said. “It’s a scandal that journalists in Serbia have to work under police protection.”
“All this is happening after the state said it will deal with them,” Stankovic said.
Serbian police have said they are investigating the threats against Stankovic. Those include messages such as “We will spill your brain” or “There will be shooting these days” posted on her profile on the social networking Web site, Facebook.
The documentary included video footage of fans toting guns and attacking a restaurant in Belgrade. It alleged that police have filed more than 100 charges against the main leaders but that they never ended up in jail.
Serbia’s pro-Western authorities have pledged a crackdown on extremist violence following a fatal attack earlier this year against the French soccer fan and the canceling of a gay pride march after extremists’ threats.
The fan groups were also blamed for violent protests against the arrest of war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic, the wartime Bosnian Serb leader, last year during which one demonstrator was killed and several people were injured.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday