Using sweeping security codes passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the United Arab Emirates’ (UAE) highest court convicted a US citizen on Monday on terrorism-related charges amid claims that torture was used to extract his confession.
The four-month trial of Naji Hamdan was also carried out without making public details of the accusations — showing the tight lid on information over security matters in a nation that promotes itself as the West’s foothold in the Gulf.
Anti-terrorism laws in the Emirates, passed in the aftermath of the 2001 US terrorist attacks, have often been expanded to muzzle political dissent and have drawn sharp criticism from international rights groups.
The court sentenced Hamdan, an American of Lebanese origin, to 18 months in prison after facing three terrorism-related charges, including having ties to an al-Qaeda group in Iraq. However, Hamdan — who denied the allegations — should be freed soon because the sentence takes into account the time he spent in custody since his arrest last year.
Once he serves his time, Hamdan is to be deported from the country.
Hamdan’s lawyer, Abdul Khader al-Haithami, claimed in an earlier hearing that his client suffered torture and threats in detention and was forced to sign a confession “to whatever they wanted to hear.”
The case is a “classic example” of problems associated with state security and terrorism-related trials around the region, said Deborah Manning, a senior legal officer with Al Karama, a Geneva-based and Arab world-focused human rights organization.
“Serious allegations are often not backed by proper evidence,” Manning said. “Heavy reliance on secret information severely prejudices the proper defense.”
In his verdict, chief justice Khalifa al-Muhairi gave no details on his decision such as whether the 43-year-old Hamdan was convicted of all three charges. There are no appeals to verdicts by the UAE’s Federal Supreme Court.
“I’m disappointed because I was not acquitted,” Hamdan said as he was led away by security forces after the verdict.
Rights groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), also have accused US authorities of pushing the case in the Emirates because they lacked enough evidence for US courts. The ACLU asked a US court to press for a halt to the case, but a US judge ruled in August that there was no authority to interfere in a foreign criminal prosecution.
“The security system in the UAE is very powerful,” said Abduldkhadi al-Khawaja, a Bahrain-based coordinator for Frontline, an international group that protects human rights activists. “Their activities are not related only to terrorism, but any kind of political activism, including defending human rights.”
Political parties are not allowed in the UAE and associations for the promotion of civil liberties and human rights are closely controlled. Leading lawyers, university professors and activists have been detained and questioned by security services, rights groups say. Some have been fired from their jobs, others have been banned from public life after they were released from detention without ever being charged with any crime.
Hamdan said he was not politically active after he moved with his family back to the Middle East in 2006 after living in the US for almost 20 years. He was an active member of the Islamic community in the Los Angeles area, where he ran a successful auto parts business.
He said the FBI began questioning him about whether he had terrorist ties in 1999. He was never charged with any crime in the US.
He was arrested in the UAE in August last year and charged in June with supporting terrorism, working with terrorist organizations and being a member of a terrorist group. After his arrest, he wrote a note to a US diplomat saying he was subjected to beatings, threats to his family and verbal abuse.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable