Police started randomly checking people for guns in the capital’s 175 subway stations on Saturday after a man opened fire inside a crowded station, killing two people and causing eight injuries.
Mexico City Attorney General Miguel Angel Mancera said the gunman, Luis Felipe Hernandez, 38, who was wounded by police, was undergoing psychological exams to determine if he is mentally unstable. Authorities have 48 hours to decide whether to send him to a psychiatric ward or have him stand trial.
Six of those injured in the attack had been released from hospitals while two remained under treatment, according to a news release from the city government. One man was listed in serious condition. Mancera earlier had said 10 were injured, some from bullets and some from falls in the scramble to escape the shooting.
Hernandez was writing an anti-government statement on a wall at the packed Balderas subway station when a police officer confronted him. He fatally shot the officer and then continued firing as people got on and off a train during rush hour.
Video from a security camera shows Hernandez shooting as the crowd runs for cover.
A passenger, later identified as construction worker Esteban Cervantes, jumps out of the train and lunges at Hernandez.
Cervantes continues trying to grab the gun as Hernandez fires at him. Cervantes falls back after being shot in the head.
Hernandez then walks into an open subway car, where passengers are crouched down. He steps back on to the platform to grab a bag, apparently to reload his gun, then fires repeatedly from the door.
More police officers, both in uniform and plain clothes, run onto the platform firing their guns at the shooter, who is wounded in his right arm and subdued. Hernandez was released from the hospital on Friday night and remains in custody.
City police held a ceremony on Saturday to honor their fallen colleague, Victor Manuel Miranda, who is survived by a common-law wife and their one-year-old daughter.
In a poor neighborhood of cinderblock homes and gravel roads, family and friends of the construction worker slain trying to stop the shooter also held a funeral. Cervantes left behind a wife and five grown children. A rose and a photo of him smiling was placed on his wooden casket.
“I consider what he did heroic,” his son Gerardo Cervantes said. “My dad couldn’t stand injustice and I think that’s why he reacted the way he did.”
More than 1,600 city police officers and 3,000 security guards were assigned to permanently patrol subway stations starting on Saturday, using 500 hand-held metal detectors, the city government said in a news release. More than 5 million people a day use the Metro system, one of the world’s busiest.
Mancera said the gunman was a farmer from western Jalisco state who after being captured rambled on about being against world politics.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in