Millionaires, police chiefs, illegal casinos, loan sharks and a mafia-busting cop in hot pursuit of hundreds of gangsters: It is not the plot of the latest Hollywood blockbuster movie, but a crackdown on organized crime in Chongqing, China, and its “protective umbrella” of rich and powerful contacts.
Police announced this week they were searching for 469 suspects from 14 gangs — on top of the 1,544 already detained. They are holding 19 alleged leaders and issued the photographs of 67 more for whom they already have warrants.
The Xinhua state news agency reported that scores of police officers were accused of protecting gangs and that three millionaires were under investigation.
Wen Qiang (文強), director of Chongqing’s judicial bureau and a former police chief in the city, is also under internal investigation, suspected of protecting criminals. His successor as deputy police chief, Wang Lijun (王立軍), has a reputation as a “mafia buster” and was promoted to the top job earlier this year, amid a major anti-crime drive launched by former Chinese minister of commerce Bo Xilai (薄熙來), who became the city’s top official two years ago.
Wang said gangs had run illegal loan businesses worth as much as 30 billion yuan (US$4.3 billion) — equivalent to a third of the city’s annual revenue.
The South China Morning Post said the 40-year-old police chief had 20 scars from knife and bullet wounds, and was once in a coma for 10 days because of his long-term battle with the triads.
Last month, he told a conference that organized crime was hiding behind legal businesses and had entered many industries through blackmail, extortion and illegal loans.
He said that gangs in Chongqing were known for “having a long history, wide coverage, deep connections, huge membership, high quality and vicious influence.”
Police said they had seized 48 guns, frozen or confiscated 1.53 billion yuan in assets — including those held overseas — and received more than 9,000 tip-offs. Local media said on Wednesday that murders had fallen to their lowest seasonal rate for five years.
Chen Tianben (陳天本), professor of public security at the Chinese People’s Public Security University, said: “I think the police action in Chongqing must be related to the recent political change of the local authority. But it is hard to say whether the change of the officials led to the crackdown, or the crackdown on the gangs dragged down more officials.”
A humanoid robot that won a half-marathon race for robots in Beijing on Sunday ran faster than the human world record in a show of China’s technological leaps. The winner from Honor, a Chinese smartphone maker, completed the 21km race in 50 minutes and 26 seconds, said a WeChat post by the Beijing Economic-Technological Development Area, also known as Beijing E-Town, where the race began. That was faster than the human world record holder, Ugandan Jacob Kiplimo, who finished the same distance in about 57 minutes in March at the Lisbon road race. The performance by the robot marked a significant step forward
Four contenders are squaring up to succeed Antonio Guterres as secretary-general of the UN, which faces unprecedented global instability, wars and its own crushing budget crisis. Chile’s Michelle Bachelet, Argentina’s Rafael Grossi, Costa Rica’s Rebeca Grynspan and Senegal’s Macky Sall are each to face grillings by 193 member states and non-governmental organizations for three hours today and tomorrow. It is only the second time the UN has held a public question-and-answer, a format created in 2016 to boost transparency. Ultimately the five permanent members of the UN’s top body, the Security Council, hold the power, wielding vetoes over who leads the
South Korea’s air force yesterday apologized for a 2021 midair collision involving two fighter jets, a day after auditors said the pilots were taking selfies and filming during the flight and held them responsible for the accident. “We sincerely apologize to the public for the concern caused by the accident that occurred in 2021,” an air force spokesman told a news conference, adding that one of the pilots involved had been suspended from flying duties, received severe disciplinary action and has since left the military. The apology followed a report released on Wednesday by the South Korean Board of Audit and Inspection,
An earthquake registering a preliminary magnitude of 7.7 off northern Japan on Monday prompted a short-lived tsunami alert and the advisory of a higher risk of a possible mega-quake for coastal areas there. The Cabinet Office and the Japan Meteorological Agency said there was a 1% chance for a mega-quake, compared to a 0.1% chance during normal times, in the next week or so following the powerful quake near the Chishima and Japan trenches. Officials said the advisory was not a quake prediction but urged residents in 182 towns along the northeastern coasts to raise their preparedness while continuing their daily lives. Prime