A former Chinese entrepreneur who is described as his country’s most wanted fugitive over a massive smuggling and corruption scandal wants to go home after nearly 10 years in Canada, Chinese media said.
Lai Changxing (賴昌星), who fled with his family in 1999 after China accused him of masterminding a US$6 billion smuggling ring, told the China Business View the past decade had been very “tough” both financially and psychologically.
“I missed my hometown very much and I hope to go back to my motherland one day,” the 50-year-old said in Vancouver in an interview published by the newspaper on Thursday.
In the 1990s, Lai headed the Yuanhua Group, which allegedly smuggled cars, crude oil and cigarettes across the border, while bribing officials to look the other way — a scandal that shook southeast China’s booming Fujian Province.
The case felled several high-ranking officials, including former vice minister of police Li Jizhou (李紀周), who was sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve.
Ten years on, Lai accepted China’s tax evasion charges against him and said he was ready to pay fines and face punishment in jail, the paper reported.
Lai’s former wife Tsang Mingna (曾明娜) has voluntarily returned to Fujian with their daughter, Canada’s Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said, according to the report.
However, Lai’s lawyer David Matas denied that Lai would follow in his ex-wife’s footsteps and return to China of his own free will, the state-run China New Service reported.
Canada does not normally grant refugee status to wanted criminals but deports them to countries seeking to prosecute them. However, China’s use of the death penalty and reputed abuse of prisoners has made Canadian courts reject Lai’s deportation.
Canadian officials refused Lai and Tsang refugee status on grounds they were mere “common criminals,” but attempts to extradite them and their three children have been repeatedly blocked by Canadian courts.
The case has been a diplomatic thorn between Canada and China and a focus of attention for international human rights groups.
China gave Canada a rare diplomatic assurance it would not execute Lai if he was found guilty, but a Canadian judge ruled in 2007 that risk assessments in the case failed to address the possibility that Lai might be tortured in China.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of