The streets of Algiers are deserted following clashes between Chinese and Algerian traders, but the tension is palpable despite comments by Beijing’s envoy describing the unrest as an isolated incident.
“I thought I was going to die,” said Abdelkrim Salaouda, sitting on a chair in front of his shop selling household electrical goods in the city’s Bab Ezzouar quarter, 15km from the city center.
According to Salaouda, the clashes broke out over a dispute on Monday afternoon between a Chinese man and a young Algerian who was accused of having parked his car near his shop.
PHOTO: AFP
His brother came to his aid, but around 50 Chinese men, armed with swords, knives and iron bars then set upon the Algerian traders in support of their compatriot, residents said.
“I was going toward my neighbor’s shop when a group of Chinese attacked me and gave me a thrashing,” said Salaouda, whose head was still wrapped in a bandage.
“At the hospital I had to have seven stitches,” he said.
“The Chinese have taken advantage of the kindness of the Algerians. They were accepted despite their faults, today they are attacking us,” added one of Salaouda’s employees, Mounir.
“They drink alcohol in front of their shops and in full view of the Algerians and often parade about in shorts in the area. This sort of behavior is against our religion and our culture,” said Abdellah, another resident.
Since Monday police cars have been patrolling the area along with plainclothes officers.
Salaouda believes that the Chinese traders might now, however, be regretting their behavior after they suggested mediation in order to sort out their differences amicably.
“We don’t want them here any more. The only thing for them to do is to go back to China,” he said, surrounded by dozens of neighbors who nodded in agreement.
The residents had also signed a petition to the authorities calling for the Chinese to be asked to leave, he added.
The usually bustling area was deserted on Wednesday.
All the shops belonging to the Chinese traders were closed and none had appeared in public since the incidents, locals said.
“They are afraid of possible reprisals. On Monday evening young people from neighoring areas attacked four or five shops belonging to the Chinese,” said another man speaking on condition of anonymity.
The police had to intervene late in the evening, he said.
China’s embassy in Algiers on Wednesday played down the clashes as an isolated incident unrepresentative of normal relations.
“This isolated incident does not reflect the relations between Algerians and Chinese,” an embassy spokeswoman said, adding that China “had confidence in the Algerian police” to shed light on the violence.
Chinese traders have flooded the North African country, selling goods at cutthroat prices and sparking growing local resentment.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told