Guinea-Bissau, a tiny slice of the West African coastline that has endured decades of political violence, will vote for a new president tomorrow, though neither contender offers real hope of a break with the past.
The decisive second round of the poll, triggered by the killing of late president Joao Bernardo Vieira in March, was initially seen as a chance to end the spiral of retribution between the presidency and the military that culminated with the twin slayings of Vieira and the armed forces chief of staff.
However, familiar faces and familiar problems still dominate the political landscape.
Malam Bacai Sanha, widely seen as favorite to win tomorrow, and rival Kumba Yala have both been president before, the latter for a chaotic 2000 to 2003 spell that saw four prime ministers, more than 80 ministers and a halt to IMF and World Bank lending.
Whoever wins, much of the real power will remain in the hands of the soldiers.
“Whatever the balance of power between institutions, it’s the military that calls the shots in Guinea-Bissau and that’s not going to change whoever wins this election,” said Richard Reeve, West Africa analyst for Oxford Analytica.
Sanha represents the ruling African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), while Yala is standing for the Social Renewal Party (PRS).
“The military is more opposed to the PAIGC than the PRS because the PAIGC has been much more overt about security sector reform,” Reeve said.
The military has repeatedly shown its willingness to intervene in politics since the country won independence from Portugal in 1974. It has declared its neutrality, but many officers were promoted during Yala’s stint in power.
“It is essential that the authority of the state is restored in order to assure the security and physical safety of all citizens,” Sanha said while campaigning this week.
Years of insecurity are to blame for the lack of much-needed foreign investment in Guinea-Bissau, one of the poorest countries on earth, Yala told supporters.
“What the country clearly needs is security sector reform as well as institutional capacity building,” IHS Global Insight analyst Kissy Agyeman-Togobo said.
The corrupting influence of drug smugglers from across the Atlantic, who have in recent years used Guinea-Bissau as a transit point for cocaine on its way to Europe, often with the complicity of the armed forces, will leave the winner as the head of a severely weakened state.
“Whoever comes to power will have to grapple with these harsh realities, but with the support of the international community in the combat of illegal drugs,” Agyeman-Togobo said.
Ethnicity strongly favors Sanha, as analysts say Yala is unlikely to be able to broaden his appeal beyond his Balante tribe.
“Past practice would suggest Kumba Yala will dispute the result, but his capacity to cause trouble is pretty limited,” Reeve said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told