The lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai attacks delivered a surprise confession at his trial, saying he was recruited by a militant group while he was looking for training to become a professional robber.
Ajmal Kasab’s confession on Monday bolstered India’s charges that terrorist groups in Pakistan were behind the attack in which 166 people died, severely straining relations between the countries.
During his confession, Kasab described how he sprayed gunfire at commuters while a comrade hurled grenades inside a railway station.
“I was in front of Abu Ismail who had taken such a position that no one could see him,” Kasab told the court.
“We both fired, Abu Ismail and I. We fired on the public,” he said.
Kasab, a Pakistani who had consistently denied a role in the rampage, reversed his plea without warning, shocking even his lawyer.
Kasab described how four men — some of them known leaders of the Islamic extremist group Lashkar-e-Taiba — sent him and his fellow attackers to Mumbai from Pakistan.
They traveled by boat arriving on Nov. 26 in Mumbai, where they unleashed three days of mayhem. The 10 gunmen, armed with automatic rifles and grenades, split into pairs and killed people at a railway station, a Jewish center, a hospital and two five-star hotels.
Kasab faces the death penalty if convicted.
As the 66th day of his trial started on Monday morning, he stood up just as a prosecution witness was to take the stand, and addressed the judge.
“Sir, I plead guilty to my crime,” the 21-year-old said, triggering a collective gasp in the courtroom.
After a debate on the legality of such a confession, Kasab’s statement was recorded, and the judge said he would have Kasab sign each page of the document, which would be reviewed by his lawyer, formally reversing his plea from innocent to guilty.
Kasab said he and Abu Ismail went to the Chatrapati Shivaji railway station in a taxi and left a bomb in the vehicle.
“I went to the restroom and attached a battery to a bomb and put it in a bag. Abu followed me to restroom and I asked him what I should do with the bomb,” Kasab said.
“‘Let’s see,’ Abu told me,” he said.
They moved to the railroad station hall, packed with commuters.
Abu Ismail put the bag near a pillar and stood close to a wall where they began shooting at people. Soon, policemen joined the fight. The bomb never exploded.
“I was firing and Abu was hurling hand grenades ... I fired at a policeman after which there was no firing from the police side,” Kasab said.
From the railway station the two went to Cama hospital. A few more were killed there. The pair then went to the Chowpatty beach in a hijacked vehicle where Ismail was killed and Kasab was captured.
He was treated for wounds and has since been held in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail where the trial is being conducted.
“There is no pressure on me. I am making the statement of my own will,” he said.
As part of the confession, he told how he became involved with Lashkar-e-Taiba. He said he had become unhappy with his low wages as a shop assistant and left for Rawalpindi with the intention of becoming a professional robber.
While in Rawalpindi, he and a friend decided to seek out the mujahedeen, who they thought could help train them as bandits.
Before being sent to India, Kasab said he lived in a house in Karachi for a month-and-a-half with 10 other young men. All were transferred to another home and taken to sea where they met four handlers.
Last week, Pakistan gave a dossier to India providing evidence of Lashkar-e-Taiba’s role in the attack and naming Kasab as a participant.
Asked by judge M.L. Tahiliyani why he had confessed, Kasab said it was because of the evidence provided by the Pakistani government.
“If Pakistan has accepted me as its citizen, then end this case and punish me for my crime,” he said.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big