Thirteen Serbs were convicted of war crimes and sentenced to prison on Thursday for the execution-style killings of some 200 Croats — one of the worst massacres of prisoners of war (POWs) during the bloody Balkan conflicts of the 1990s.
Serbia’s war crimes court judges handed the maximum 20-year sentence to seven of the former soldiers.
The case was seen as a test of the Serbian judiciary’s ability to punish Serbs responsible for atrocities committed during the wars under former president Slobodan Milosevic.
The shooting took place in November 1991 at a pig farm near the eastern Croatian town of Vukovar during Croatia’s war for independence.
The Croatian POWs were separated into groups of seven to eight and sprayed with machine-gun fire before their bodies were dumped into a mass grave, the verdict said. Those showing signs of life were shot in the head with pistols.
“The defendants are guilty because they killed, tortured and inhumanely treated the war prisoners,” chief judge Vesko Krstajic said while reading out the verdict.
Six of the Serb defendants were given prison sentences ranging from five to 15 years.
The prosecutors said they were satisfied with the verdict.
“The seven maximum sentences should represent some satisfaction for the victims’ families,” prosecution spokesman Bruno Vekaric said.
Five of the 18 defendants originally indicted have been acquitted. Prosecutors said they would appeal the acquittals.
Some of the victims’ family members were not satisfied with the verdict because of the acquittals.
“This verdict won’t get me back my son,” said Marica Skulic, whose 26-year-old son was killed in the massacre. “My only hope is that it will help that such crimes never happen again.”
Croatia’s 1991 declaration of independence from the former Yugoslavia triggered a rebellion by its ethnic Serbs, who with Belgrade’s backing captured a third of the republic’s territory. The rebellion was crushed in 1995 and Croatia recaptured the territory.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses