Several European nations are pushing to send personnel to Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) to help secure humanitarian aid to bolster the UN Security Council’s expected addition of 3,100 troops to its beleaguered peacekeeping mission, diplomats said on Wednesday.
France, Belgium and Sweden are considering how to give DR Congo added help by arriving ahead of UN peacekeepers and securing areas around Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu Province, and roads needed to distribute food and other humanitarian aid, French Ambassador Jean-Maurice Ripert said.
Once the council approves the additional peacekeeping troops “it will then be easier for the EU to try to see what they can do on the purely humanitarian side,” said Ripert, whose nation holds the EU presidency.
The council was expected to approve a French-sponsored resolution yesterday that would make good on UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s request for the additional soldiers to beef up the UN peacekeeping force on a temporary basis. Ban’s top envoy to DR Congo, Alan Doss, recommended the increase more than a month ago.
Several African nations such as Senegal, Kenya and Angola are among those that could contribute extra troops, council diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks are still under way.
The peacekeeping mission, known as MONUC, is authorized to have 17,000 personnel including 600 unarmed military observers.
“We accept the idea that MONUC should be more efficient on the ground. They should use their full capacities,” Ripert said.
“And we have to make sure that their capacities are adapted to the kind of threat and the kind of challenges they have to face,” he said. “This is why we have decided to answer to the request.”
Doss said UN peacekeepers will police the buffer zone they expect to be created when rebel forces pull back from areas they control in the conflict-wracked east of the country.
Congolese rebels pulled hundreds of fighters back from some of their front lines on Wednesday, in keeping with their promise a day earlier to do so to allow talks with the army, whose soldiers fled some areas of the province.
Ban said he welcomed the move and hoped that safe passage would be given for humanitarian workers.
But while out patrolling, UN forces swapped gunfire with pro-government Mai Mai militiamen, who attacked with machine guns in Kibitutu, a village about 72km north of Goma.
The area is just south of the envisioned UN-policed buffer zone. MUNOC already has about 6,000 peacekeeping troops in the region. The militiamen usually had been allied with DR Congo’s government.
The fighting has displaced at least 250,000 people this year.
With its troops spread thin in DR Congo’s vast areas, the UN’s peacekeeping mission has been criticized for not doing more to protect civilians.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting