Canadian police on Thursday arrested the main suspect in the 1980 bombing of a synagogue in Paris that killed four people and injured 20 others, officials said.
Hassan Diab was taken into custody on a provisional extradition warrant issued at the request of French authorities, Canadian Justice Department spokesman Christian Girouard said.
Diab was being held pending a bail hearing yesterday.
Girouard said that, under Canadian law, French officials will have 45 days to provide further legal details to back up their extradition request.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Corporal Jean Hainey said the man was detained at his residence in Gatineau, Quebec — across the river from Ottawa.
Diab, a part-time sociology instructor at the University of Ottawa, was first named in French news reports last month. He said at the time he was a victim of mistaken identity.
Defense lawyer Rene Duval said his client was shocked by the arrest.
“This is someone who has no criminal record whatsoever,” said Duval, who claims Diab did not enter France in 1980. “It’s a mistaken identification.”
Michele Alliot-Marie, France’s interior minister, welcomed the arrest. In a statement, she credited the “excellent cooperation” between French police and intelligence services and Canadian authorities, but did not provide further details on the suspect.
Diab, a 55-year-old of Palestinian origin, has Lebanese and Canadian passports and lived in the US for several years before moving to Canada, a French judicial official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with judicial policy.
Diab said in an interview with the French daily Le Figaro last month that he was a victim of mistaken identity and had nothing to do with the attack.
Anti-terrorist judges Marc Trevidic and Yves Jannier traveled to Canada at the beginning of the week to further their inquiry into the bombing, the judicial official said. Investigators were searching Diab’s home and office for clues including DNA samples.
On Oct. 3, 1980, a bomb containing pentrite — one of the most powerful high explosives known — and hidden in the saddlebags of a parked motorcycle exploded outside the synagogue of the conservative ULIF group as hundreds of worshippers were gathered inside for a Sabbath service.
Three French men and one Israeli woman were killed. Around 200,000 people later marched through the streets of Paris to protest the attack.
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-Special Operations was blamed at the time. Diab’s name was on a list of former members of the Palestinian extremist group obtained by German intelligence officials.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting