The justice minister of Guinea-Bissau said she received two telephone threats early on Thursday for her investigation into the landing of a suspected drug plane, marking an escalation in the local drug war.
UN drug officials said the late-night threats, while worrying, are also an indication that the traffickers themselves feel threatened.
“You don’t go to such lengths as to threaten a minister if you don’t feel in danger,” said Antonio Mazzitelli, West Africa director of the UN Office of Drugs and Crime.
Carmelita Pires, the justice minister, said she was awoken at around 1am and 2:20am on Thursday by unidentified male callers. The first said: “Shut up. You talk too much. It’s enough,” according to a transcript of her statements to reporters at a press conference in Guinea-Bissau on Thursday.
The second caller, a different man, said: “You think we’re kidding? Put your hand in the fire and see. You’re digging your own tomb. You can’t say we didn’t warn you.”
Pires’ office, helped by Interpol, the FBI and the US Drug Enforcement Agency, seized a plane that landed at the country’s international airport on July 12. Drug-sniffing dogs sent by Interpol indicated the private jet, believed to have originated in South America, had been carrying cocaine, Mazzitelli said. No drugs were found inside the plane, most likely because the plane was left parked at the terminal for five days before authorities in Guinea-Bissau were able to arrange to seize it.
Three Venezuelan crew members have been detained, one of whom is the subject of a previous arrest warrant in Mexico for smuggling over 5 tonnes of cocaine, Mazzitelli said.
Guinea-Bissau is believed to be one of the main transit points for smugglers who ferry an estimated 40 tonnes of South American cocaine to Europe every year. Because the price of the drug in Europe is now double what it is in America, traffickers are increasingly transporting cocaine to Africa.
Guinea-Bissau is so poor it has no prison. Its police officers have no handcuffs nor enough money to pay for gasoline for squad cars. The country’s poverty has made it a perfect partner for traffickers, who are believed to have bought off key members of the government.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told