Gunmen killed a Somali peace activist in a central region on Sunday, colleagues said, the latest in a string of attacks against aid and rights workers in the shattered African nation.
Mohamed Hassan Kulmiye, a senior official with Mogadishu-based Center For Research and Dialogue (CRD), was shot dead in Beledweyne town, the capital of the Hiraan region.
“He was killed an hour ago inside his office, but we do not know the motive of the murder,” said one of his CDC colleagues who requested anonymity.
Several witnesses confirmed his death.
The CDC, a local charity that promotes social, economic and political development, was involved in the UN-mediated talks between the government and opposition groups in Djibouti, which ended in a truce agreement on June 9.
Kulmiye’s killing occurred a day after gunmen kidnapped Hasan Mohamed Ali, a Somali working with the UN refugees agency, at his residence in Elashabiyaha, south of the capital Mogadishu.
“We don’t know where they took him after snatching him from his house at around 8:44pm last evening,” another Somali UN official said who also requested anonymity.
“I saw four men armed with machine guns talking to him in front of his house and minutes later they kidnapped him,” said Farah Abdi Mohamed, a neighbor.
Since April, gunmen have been holding five aid workers — two Italians, a Briton, a Kenyan and a Somali — all seized in southern Somalia.
The same month, the UN and aid groups scaled down operations in Somalia because of increased insecurity.
This was largely blamed on Islamist militants, who have waged a deadly guerrilla war since they were ousted by joint Somali-Ethiopian forces early last year.
At least 2.6 million Somalis are facing hunger because of acute food shortages spurred by a prolonged drought, insecurity and high inflation.
UN famine monitors have warned that the figure could hit 3.5 million by year’s end.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against