Twelve North Korean asylum-seekers have forced their way into the South Korean embassy in Laos, the embassy said on Friday.
"Twelve North Korean defectors including 11 females and one male entered the embassy on Thursday," South Korean Ambassador Park Jae-hyun told Yonhap news agency.
"We're going to respect what they want, in accordance with humanitarian principles and international standards," Park said.
All are in good condition and under the embassy's protective custody, he said, without specifying whether they wanted to come to South Korea.
Earlier, four international human rights groups helping the refugees reportedly said they wanted to travel to South Korea.
The North Koreans entered the embassy on Thursday with the help of human rights activists working in Vientiane, the Brussels-based Human Rights Without Frontiers International said in a statement.
"They were on their way to freedom in South Korea, but have since been stranded in Vientiane," the group said.
South Korea's foreign ministry declined to confirm the case. It usually declines comment on North Korean refugees, citing their safety and the sensitivity of the diplomacy involved in processing asylum seekers from the North.
An increasing number of North Koreans who flee are traveling through China to Southeast Asia. Thailand has become a busy transit point, but it is unusual for the refugees to seek passage in Laos.
They risk forced repatriation if caught in China, which terms them illegal economic migrants.
Some 12,250 North Koreans have defected to South Korea since 1953, the vast majority of them in recent years. Under the South Korean Constitution, they have a right to citizenship.
Seoul prefers a low-key approach to the issue. North Korea lodged a strong protest in 2004 when Seoul airlifted about 460 North Koreans out of Vietnam in the biggest-ever mass defection.
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since