If it can be smuggled or dumped across the US-Mexico border, Ray Loop has probably seen it turn up on his South Texas farm: Bags of dope, Chinese immigrants, dead bodies, you name it.
But Loop says he is facing his biggest threat ever, not from illegal activity but from the government's proposed solution to it: a massive border fence that would cut right through his property and leave him in what he calls a "no-man's land."
Now Loop has joined a growing resistance to the controversial project, which has sparked a heated debate in Washington and, more recently, on the presidential campaign trail.
The renewed attention has created hopes in South Texas that the next president will either scale back or torpedo plans for the massive fence.
Though wildly popular on conservative talk radio, the project has drawn almost universal scorn along the Texas border.
"There is a sense of hope that the next administration will be more border-centric," said state Legislator Aaron Pena, a supporter of Democrat hopeful Senator Hillary Clinton.
"Because of the dynamics in the presidential election, with Texas being at the center point of the debate, we might leverage more acceptable options," she said.
At a debate on Thursday in the Lone Star state's capital, both Democratic presidential hopefuls, Clinton and Senator Barack Obama, said increased patrols and improved surveillance methods would be a better solution than the fence.
"There is a smart way to protect our borders and a dumb way to protect our borders," said Clinton, who lambasted the "counterproductive" fence which interferes with "family relations, business relations, recreation, and so much else that makes living along the border, you know, wonderful."
Likewise, Obama said he would explore alternatives in consultation with local communities.
"As Senator Clinton indicated, there may be areas where it makes sense to have some fencing," he said. "But for the most part, having a border patrol surveillance, deploying effective technology, that's going to be the better approach."
Never mind that both Obama and Clinton voted in favor of the wall. Republican frontrunner Senator John McCain voted for it too, though his moderate views on immigration reform have played well in the Texas border area.
Congress passed a law in 2006 calling for 1,125km of double-layer fencing along the 3,220km border with Mexico.
More recently, the Department of Homeland Security announced plans to erect 595km of it before US President George W. Bush leaves office in early next year.
Environmentalists, farmers and elected officials have been complaining about the project, and allegedly heavy-handed tactics by the Bush administration, for months.
Homeland Security has filed lawsuits aimed at expropriating land from dozens of landowners up and down the border.
Even the University of Texas at Brownsville could lose access to buildings and grounds on the other side of the fence and is facing a potential legal battle after refusing to allow authorities on campus to survey the land.
The Loop family has also refused to sign a release allowing the government to survey their farm.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told