A freelance reporter for the Miami Herald's Spanish language newspaper said on Friday he is leaving Colombia because of death threats he received after being criticized by the Colombian president.
Gonzalo Guillen said he was preparing to depart yesterday after receiving 24 death threats in 48 hours.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe on Tuesday accused the 55-year-old journalist of ghostwriting a book by a former mistress of the late drug lord Pablo Escobar that alleges Uribe was a friend of the Medellin cocaine cartel.
"Behind this lady is Gonzalo Guillen who has dedicated his journalistic career to infamy and lies," the president, who has repeatedly denied any ties to Escobar, said on radio.
Guillen has denied any connection to the book Loving Pablo, Hating Escobar, written by former Escobar mistress Virginia Vallejo.
"I did not write the book, nor have I read the book," Guillen said.
Repeated calls to the president's press secretary, Cesar Mauricio Velasquez, were not returned.
El Nuevo Herald executive editor Humberto Castello said the threats were from paramilitaries, illegal far-right militias that have backed the government's tough anti-guerrilla policies.
Castello said he was extremely worried about the journalist, whom he said has contributed to the paper from Colombia since 1999.
The Colombian journalist said he believes Uribe is also upset with a book he published in May, The Confidants of Pablo Escobar, which claims that the Uribe family had ties to organized crime.
Violent drug cartels, far-right death squads and leftist rebels have made Colombia a precarious place for reporters.
At least 40 journalists have been killed in the country since 1992, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said.
"We are concerned that the president's comments could endanger our colleague Gonzalo Guillen," Committee to Protect Journalists executive director Joel Simon said in a statement on Wednesday. "We call on President Uribe to abstain from making such accusations."
‘SERIOUS QUESTIONS’: Three US senators sent a letter to the US commerce secretary asking whether the project ‘takes into consideration national security requirements’ US Senator Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic colleagues have written to top US administration officials asking for details of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd’s (TSMC) plan to build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. Hsinchu-based TSMC on Thursday last week announced that it would build a plant to make 5 nanometer chips by 2024 that would have the capacity to produce 20,000 semiconductor wafers per month. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker already has one chipmaking fab in Camas, Washington, and design centers in Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California. It said it planned to start construction in Arizona next year and
VULNERABLE: Many women do not report sexual harassment by their landlord over fears they could lose the roof over their head, an expert said A growing number of landlords are asking tenants for sex in exchange for housing as COVID-19 lockdowns and job cuts have left many struggling to pay their rent, housing experts said. A survey by the National Fair Housing Alliance of more than 100 fair housing groups combating discrimination across the US found that 13 percent had seen an increase in sexual harassment complaints during the pandemic. “If I did not have sex with him, he was going to put me out,” one woman facing eviction by her property manager told the alliance in an podcast on its Web site. “As a single
MOM’S LONG CAMPAIGN: Mao Yin had been brought up in Mianyang, Sichuan Province, without any idea that he was the target of a decades-long, high-profile search A Chinese man who was stolen from his family as a toddler has been reunited with his parents after 32 years. Mao Yin (毛寅), then two-and-a-half years old, was snatched in 1988 when he was walking home from nursery with his father. His parents finally embraced him again on Monday in Xian, where he was born. After Mao vanished, his mother Li Jingzhi (李靜芝) quit her job and launched a decades-long search for her son, that included sending out more than 100,000 flyers and appearing on numerous TV shows. That long campaign helped 29 other families find their own missing children and made
HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES? An institute of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security and a company are to be sanctioned over ‘human rights violations and abuses’ The US Department of Commerce on Friday said that it would sanction a Chinese government institute and eight companies over alleged human rights abuses against Uighurs and other minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region. “These nine parties are complicit in human rights violations and abuses committed in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region,” the department said in a statement. The Chinese Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Forensic Science and Aksu Huafu Textiles Co are to be sanctioned “for