Tuareg-led rebels in northern Niger have kidnapped a Chinese uranium executive whose company they accuse of helping to fund government arms purchases, the rebels' leader said on Saturday.
Zhang Guohua (張國華), an executive at China Nuclear International Uranium Corp (Sino-U), was kidnapped on Friday close to the oasis town of Ingall, more than 1,000km north of the capital Niamey, a source close to the mines ministry said.
Aghaly ag Alambo, leader of the rebel Niger Movement for Justice (MNJ) which carried out the kidnapping, said Zhang had been taken because the group believed his company was helping to fund arms purchases by the government.
"We're not against any firm, be it from China or elsewhere," Ag Alambo said by satellite phone from northern Niger. "But we are against companies which supply the national army while that army is directing its force against civilians who are demanding their rights."
Officials from Sino-U could not immediately be reached.
Ag Alambo said the kidnapping was meant as a warning and the rebels did not intend to harm Zhang.
The MNJ, made up largely of Tuareg and other nomadic tribes, has launched a series of attacks since February against military and mining interests in Niger's mineral-rich north, home to the world's fourth biggest uranium mining industry.
It says the central government is neglecting the region and wants local people to have greater control over its mineral resources, which also include iron ore, silver, platinum and titanium. Foreign oil firms are also prospecting for crude.
It accuses government forces of randomly detaining and killing civilians in a heavy-handed security crackdown.
"This region has been declared a war zone by the government and in this situation we cannot allow the Chinese to continue extracting natural resources while civilians are being killed," said Seydou Kaocen Maiga, a Paris-based MNJ spokesman.
"We sent people to tell them that we did not want the Chinese to continue working while there is a conflict ... but they refused to stop so this employee was taken," he said.
Niger's government, which refuses to recognize the MNJ and has dismissed the attacks as acts of common banditry, said it was taking all necessary measures to quickly free the hostage.
"The government deplores and strongly condemns this villainous act which concerns all of us and which shows no respect for this country's legendary values of hospitality," government spokesman Mohamed Ben Omar told national TV.
China's foreign ministry said it had instructed its embassy to take action to rescue the hostage.
"The Chinese Embassy has been asked to make representations with the Niger side for the release of the kidnapped Chinese citizen and to ensure the safety of staff at Chinese-funded companies and organizations in Niger," a foreign ministry spokeswoman said.
The MNJ says the government has used the proceeds from mining permits to buy two Russian-made Mi-24 attack helicopters to strike its positions and the army is using Chinese-made arms.
Maiga said Ingall, an oasis of date trees famed for its salty plains, was a particularly inappropriate place for the Chinese to be working because of its cultural importance to Tuareg and Peul nomadic herders.
It is the site of a massive gathering known as the "Cure Salee" (salt cure) each September, in which nomads who have been on the move for months reunite and exchange news while their goats, sheep, cows and camels eat the area's mineral-rich grass.
"If Ingall became a mining town it would be a disaster," Maiga said. "For centuries, thousands of nomads -- Tuaregs, Peuls, Arabs -- have gathered there each year. It would destroy Niger's livestock culture."
Trade between China and Africa has soared fourfold this decade, to US$40 billion in 2005. Beijing has also become a major supplier of aid, last year announcing US$10 billion in assistance from last year to 2009.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered