Islamic militants want to kidnap businessmen, politicians and foreigners in Indonesia -- and to use the ransoms to finance their terrorist activities, the intelligence chief said yesterday.
Police said they had deployed 3,000 officers to ward off the threat.
Syamsir Siregar, who heads Indonesia's State Intelligence Agency, said his men learned of the kidnapping plot after intercepting communications from meetings held by Islamic militants.
"The terrorists want to get money by kidnapping influential figures -- and this could include businessmen and politicians," Siregar said, without elaborating.
"And as we know, they target foreigners," he said, noting that US, Australian and British citizens faced the highest risk because of their governments' involvement in the war in Iraq.
The al-Qaeda linked terror network Jemaah Islamiyah has been blamed for five suicide bombings targeting Western interests since 2002, killing more than 240 people.
In the most recent attack three months ago, terrorists detonated backpack-borne explosives in crowded restaurants on the resort island of Bali.
The group has been hard hit by scores of arrests and the death last month of bomb-making expert Azahari bin Husin, who was gunned down in a police raid.
They also seem to be running low on cash, Siregar said. Authorities were investigating a string of bank robberies to see if they could be linked to terrorist activities.
But he said Jemaah Islamiyah may try to avenge Azahari's death by trying to assassinate the president or other influential figures.
Thousands of police have been deployed to guard high-ranking officials and foreign diplomats, said Colonel Komang Udayana of the Jakarta police force.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they