Mourners observed a minute of silence yesterday to mark one year since the Indian Ocean tsunami crashed ashore in a dozen countries, devastated coastal communities and swept away at least 216,000 lives.
In Aceh, the hardest-hit area, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono presided over memorial services, setting off a siren at 8:16am, to mark to moment the first waves struck on Dec. 26 last year.
The president also presided over one minute of silence at a mosque, which was the only building left standing in Ulee Lheue district town.
"Today, we are in this place to remember the tsunami disaster, a tragedy, calamity and a test for the Indonesian nation. We observe a brief moment of silence in honor of our brothers and sisters who died in the tsunami disaster," Yudhoyono told the Acehnese survivors in a speech.
"Under the blue sky, we stand together as God's children. It was under the same blue sky exactly a year ago that mother earth unleashed the most destructive power among us," he said.
After the ceremony, Yudhoyono visited a mass grave nearby where nearly 47,000 bodies of tsunami victims were buried in the days after the disaster. He also toured the sites where thousands of survivors have been housed.
But a new hope of peace in Aceh emerged after last year's disaster, Yudhoyono said, referring to a peace accord signed in August with the Free Aceh Movement.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying