The National Security Agency (NSA) first began to conduct warrantless eavesdropping on telephone calls and e-mail messages between the US and Afghanistan months before US President George W. Bush officially authorized a broader version of the agency's special domestic collection program, according to current and former government officials.
The security agency surveillance of telecommunications between the US and Afghanistan began in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington, the officials said.
The agency operation included eavesdropping on communications between Americans and other individuals in the US and people in Afghanistan without the court-approved search warrants that are normally required for such domestic intelligence activities.
On Saturday, Bush confirmed the existence of the NSA's domestic intelligence collection program and defended it, saying it had been instrumental in disrupting terrorist cells in the US.
After the Sept. 11 attacks, the Bush administration and senior US intelligence officials quickly decided that existing laws and regulations restricting the government's ability to monitor US communications were too rigid to permit quick and flexible access to international calls and e-mail traffic involving terrorism suspects.
Administration officials also believed that the intelligence community, including the CIA and the NSA, had been too risk-averse before the attacks and had missed opportunities to prevent them.
In the days after the attacks, the CIA determined that al-Qaeda, which had found a haven in Afghanistan, was responsible.
Congress quickly passed a resolution authorizing the president to conduct a war on terrorism, and the NSA was secretly ordered to begin conducting comprehensive coverage of all communications into and out of Afghanistan, including those to and from the US, current and former officials said.
It could not be learned whether Bush issued a formal, written order authorizing the early surveillance of communications between the US and Afghanistan that was later superseded by the broader order.
A White House spokesman, Maria Tamburri, declined to comment on Saturday on the Afghanistan monitoring, saying she could not go beyond Bush's speech.
Current and former US intelligence and law enforcement officials who discussed the matter were granted anonymity because the intelligence-gathering program is highly classified. Some had direct knowledge of the program.
The disclosure of the NSA's warrantless eavesdropping on calls between the US and Afghanistan sheds light on the origins of the agency's larger surveillance activities, which officials say have included monitoring the communications of as many as 500 Americans and other people inside the US without search warrants at any one time. Several current and former officials have said that they believe the agency operation began virtually on the fly in the days after the Sept. 11 attacks.
The early, narrow targeting of communications in and out of Afghanistan reflected the ad hoc nature of the government's initial approach to counter-terrorism policies after Sept. 11 attacks. But after the US-led invasion of Afghanistan succeeded in overthrowing the Taliban government in late 2001, al-Qaeda lost its sanctuary, and Osama bin Laden and other Qaida leaders scattered to other countries.
As counter-terrorism operations grew, the Bush administration wanted the NSA to secretly expand its surveillance as well. By 2002, Bush gave the agency broader surveillance authority.
In the early years of the operation, there were few, if any, controls placed on the activity by anyone outside the security agency, officials say. It was not until last year, when several officials raised concerns about its legality, that the Justice Department conducted its first audit of the operation.
Security agency officials had been given the power to select the people they would target for eavesdropping inside the US without getting approval for each case from the White House or the Justice Department, the officials said.
While the monitoring program was conducted without warrants, senior administration officials said the decision to move ahead with the program was justified by the pressing need to identify whether any remaining "sleeper cells" were still operating within the US after the Sept. 11 attacks and whether they were planning "follow-on attacks."
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying