Negotiations on charting the next steps on combatting climate change were going down to the wire yesterday, with the US cast once more in the villain's role.
A core group of diplomats were haggling over a proposal for the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to launch talks on making deep, long-term cuts in this heat-trapping pollution.
These talks would focus on commitments made under the UNFCCC's Kyoto Protocol, after the present pledging period runs out in 2012.
The proposal is couched only in the vaguest terms, yet it has run into hostility from the US.
Washington walked out of Kyoto in 2001, citing the cost of meeting the treaty's legal requirements to curb dangerous greenhouse gases.
"The game isn't over, the negotiations will be extremely tough," French Environment Minister Nelly Olin told journalists late on Thursday, but added defiantly: "If the United States says no, that will not stop us moving forward."
The US nearly destroyed Kyoto by abandoning it, although the deal was eventually saved and took effect in February this year.
But even if all its commitments are made, the outcome will make only a tiny advance against what is a gigantic problem.
There is universal recognition that future efforts against man-made global warming are doomed unless the world's top carbon polluter is included.
Almost as important is to get highly populous, fast-growing developing countries, such as China (the world's No. 2 polluter) and India, in a closer cooperation.
Under the present Kyoto format, only industrialized countries that have ratified the accord have to make specific emissions cuts in greenhouse gases.
polluters meet again
Meanwhile,Australia said yesterday that six of the world's biggest polluters will meet in Sydney next month to discuss global warming.
The Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate between Australia, the US, Japan, India, South Korea and China was unveiled in July aimed at cutting greenhouse gas emissions by developing energy technology.
Australia said the Jan. 11-12 meeting of the group, which grew from a brainstorming meeting of 20 countries on climate change in Britain at the start of the year, would be attended by foreign, energy and environment ministers from the six nations.
Officials in Canberra initially said the talks would be held in the southern city of Adelaide last month, but attempts to arrange the talks proved too difficult.
According to figures released by the partnership, the six founding partners of the new pact account for 45 percent of the world's population, 48 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions and 48 percent of the world's energy consumption.
The pact, dubbed "beyond Kyoto," has been described as complimentary to the Kyoto Protocol on greenhouse gas emissions that the US and Australia have refused to ratify.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying