A suicide bomber detonated an explosive belt in a bus as it was about to depart yesterday for a Shiite city in the south, killing up to 30 people and wounding nearly 40, police and hospital officials said.
Most of the dead were in the bus, which was gutted by flames, and the rest were gathered around a food stall nearby, police said at the scene. Kindi hospital said at least 37 were injured.
Police said the attacker waited until the bus was pulling away slowly from the station, then jumped on board to avoid security checks. Police said the death toll was especially high because the blast triggered secondary explosions in gas cylinders stored at the food stall.
PHOTO: AP
The blast occurred a week before national elections, and officials had warned of a surge in violence ahead of the balloting. Several other explosions rumbled through the heart of the capital yesterday morning.
Witnesses told police that the attacker left a car and climbed onto the bus and blew himself up as the bus was about to leave for Nasiriyah, 320km southeast of Baghdad, police Lieutenant Ali Mitaab said.
Fire swept through the bus following the blast, trapping passengers. Their charred corpses remained in their seats, their faces starring out through the shattered windows. Police climbed over the top of the vehicle inspecting what remained of luggage.
"As the bus was going outside the station, a man carrying a bag tried to get into the bus, but the conductor was suspicious about him," police Lieutenant Wisam Hakim said. "He tried to stop him but the man insisted. He sat in the middle of the bus and then the explosion took place."
The attack occurred at the major bus station for vehicles headed to the mostly Shiite areas of the south.
Last August the station was the scene of a horrific triple car bombing which killed at least 43 people and wounded 89. The latest attack occurred two days after two suicide bombers struck at the city's police academy, killing 43 police and cadets.
British appeal
Meanwhile, Britain issued a fresh appeal yesterday for the kidnappers of four foreign Christian peace campaigners in Iraq, including a British citizen, to come forward and make contact.
"As I have said before, if the kidnappers want to get in touch with us, we want to hear what they have to say. We have people in Iraq and the region and they are ready to hear from the kidnappers," Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said.
Straw made the appeal after the kidnappers of Briton Norman Kember, 74, Canadians James Loney, 41 and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, and US national Tom Fox, 54, extended by 48 hours to tomorrow their deadline to kill them.
"Norman Kember and his colleagues are campaigners for peace, dedicated to help others. We ask for their release," said Straw, who issued an initial appeal on Wednesday for the kidnappers to make contact.
"We remain in close touch with Mrs Kember and it is hard to imagine the terrible distress that Mr Kember's family are suffering throughout this ordeal. Our thoughts and our prayers are with them," he said.
"The message of this latest statement is not clear. If the kidnappers want to get in touch, we want to hear what they have to say," he said.
Al-Jazeera last Friday showed a video of the four hostages and said it had received a statement from the kidnappers threatening to kill them unless all detainees in Iraqi and coalition prisons were released by yesterday.
It gave those it called "the people concerned with abductees affairs" until yesterday to meet its demands or said it would kill the four.
The statement was accompanied by a video showing the two Canadian hostages being offered food.
They and the British hostage were also shown calling for an end to the US and British military presence in Iraq.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying